LED Front Signal Lights; Illegal?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Park

Reaction score
I bought some LED Signal lights for the sport trac, and it's red. I like them, makes the trac look mean from far. When I turn on the signal, it blinks quicker, gives me 2 clicks in the time it usually gives 1 in the trac. I wanted to know if it was illegal to have red signal lights in the front. I have driven around for about 2 days but cops haven't pulled me over yet.

Generally speaking, anything other than amber for turn signals and parking lights is illegal. That said, enforcement varies widely. I had technically illegal clear corners on my Ranger but amber bulbs, so I never got hassled.

I've been running Ultra White turn signals for about 1yr and never been pulled over so it all depends on your officers if they give a shit or not.

Yeah see the point here is that there are RED lights on the FRONT of a vehicle. White and yellow lights are Ok.....example, headlights and turn signals. DOT says that red lights are to be on the rear of a vehicle unless it is a EMS or police vehicle..........

Illegal? Most likely, but more importantly, they are unsafe. Aftermarket LED replacement bulbs should be banned. Yes, they are technically brighter then a filament bulb, and yes they come on faster. However, the viewing angle of the LEDs is really small compared to a normal bulb. Even "wide angle" LEDs usually don't even come close to half the viewing angle of a regular bulb. To see what I mean, while parked, turn a turn signal on, then stand beside the car. See how dim the turn signals are? It's the same way on the road as well.

Sorry to rant, but I'm a firm beliver that LED bulb replacements are dangerous, plain and simple. OEM LED bulbs are much different beasts and can't even be compared to aftermarket units.

Tiger, while I agree with you on your observation about the viewing angle of most LEDs, there are some which have a large radial set of LEDs which definately extends the view angle as well as incadecent bulbs. I've originally tried the forward looking LEDs and have to agree that they are dangerous. The ones I'm using has a great viewing angle and are brighter and faster than filament type bulbs.

I've also heard that when you use LED's for turn signals it can muck up your flasher, or at least they won't blink properly.

When using LEDs in for signal bulbs the flasher must be changed to an electonic flasher. A"Trident Stant" brand electronic flasher "EP27" or equivalent sold at Autozone is what you want. The type of LED bulbs I have had success with as far as view angle and brightness is shown below.

[Broken External Image]: