LED bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Krusich

Reaction score
Found no guidance in the 'Projects' section regarding changing my stock front turn and rear brake/turn/tail bulbs to LEDs.

To me that could mean it works and no issues OR it won't work probably due to hyperflashing.

They are too expensive to try and hope! Anyone have insight or experience? Thanks

You will need to replace the flasher, with a solidstate unit. Or use resistors on each lamp. Flasher is easyier.

The Gen 2 ST's don't have a flasher module. That is controlled by the CANBUS (computer) system. So if you want to use LEDs you need to either install them along with resistors, or an LED bulb with the resistor built into the bulb.

Again...thanks for the info and help.

To avoid chasing my tail on this, might you have a source for the resister bulbs that will work? All my usual sources don't appear to have enough info to make me sure I would have the correct bulb that would work.

Thanks very much!

Steve,

Not to hijack this thread, but is this your current ST?

[Broken External Image]:

Looks very familiar. :grin:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
TrainTrac, Yes.....this is my current and 7th SportTrac which is a 2007, 4.0, 4x4, Limited with 51K miles. I have had 4 Gen 1's and 3 Gen 2's.

It looks like we have identical, excellent taste...pretty amazing...but someone stole your hood and window deflectors!

FYI....I have spoken to SuperBriteLED's and their bulbs will work but each bulb will require an external resistor. I will have to remove the headlight and taillight housing to be sure there is enough space to house the resister and wiring.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Steve,

If you look closer, you'll see that I do indeed have window visors/deflectors. They're the ones from Weathertech, which are a bit of lower profile than the ones made by AVS.

Steve, I switched all mine over, but I have a Gen 1 '02. Hopefully you'll remember to take lots of pictures and post up for us all to see! :supercool::banana:

..I have spoken to SuperBriteLED's and their bulbs will work but each bulb will require an external resistor. I will have to remove the headlight and taillight housing to be sure there is enough space to house the resister and wiring.

That's the reason I decided against installing LED bulbs for now. I'm not sure if there's sufficient room to install the resistors and allow for good heat dissipation in the front or rear, especially the rear. So for now, I've just replaced all of the exterior bulbs with SilverStar bulbs.

I may take a second look at LEDs sometime in the future.

To start....got LED's for the rear and a pair of resisters.

The resisters REALLY get hot! Altho there seems to be adequate space in the taillight housing area, I have to do some more research as to how/where to mount them so they don't melt something.

Will update when I decide how to proceed.

The resisters REALLY get hot! Although there seems to be adequate space in the taillight housing area, I have to do some more research as to how/where to mount them so they don't melt something.

That's been my biggest concern too, and why I decided against using them.

Got it done....I was satisfied that there was enough ventilation space in each taillight and headlight housing area. Even tho the vendor said I could mount the resister on the housing wall without heat damage, I offset each resister with screws so the resister did not touch.

So far so good...I will monitor frequently. I would attach pics but I cannot find the secret instructions!