Leaving for Kailua-Kona Hawaii in the morning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard L

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. I will be off to Hawaii this Friday. The corporation I work for has several branches in Hawaii and Alaska, so It's all expenses paid by the branch in Hawaii.

I'm going to the Big Island, and may have to stop by the other office in Oahu, right near Pearl Harbor. The lasti time I was there was in 1963, so I imagine a lot has changed.

Although it is a business trip, I am on my own this weekend and next Saturday until I fly out about 10:45pm.

...Rich

Remember: Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Hilo tsunami park, Saddle Road, Waipio Valley/Overlook. This should give you a full Saturday of sights--considering the island can be traversed in about three hours. If you need toiletries, the commercial district of Kona (oceanfront) is a great place, or you can go a bit up the mountain to the larger big-box establishments.

Waipio. Make sure you go down to the beach below, too--if you have a vehicle and a rental agency that allows it. I walked back up that mountain, and my legs still hurt. :)

[Broken External Image]:

I agree with going to to the Volcanoes Nat'l Park. I think they had another eruption late last year. I was there in Feb of 2007 so i missed it, but there is still a flowing river of lava into the ocean. It looks best at night, but if you go be sure to take a flashlite and bottled water. with out a flashlite you can't walk out to see the lava flow (you have to walk over old lava rocks and if you trip on them they are extremely sharp). have fun!

You'll be surprised how Oahu/Pearl Harbor area changed. Was there for a week last month for the first time after leaving in '77. Freeway right on top of Nimitz Highway right outside the airport. Bumper to bumper rush hour traffic enhanced the famous Hawaiian time:D:D:D

Enjoy your Big Island visit, less traffic there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts