Learned Valuable Lesson

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I learned a very valuable lesson recently. I travel a lot working on ATM's so I haven't driven my '01 Sport Trac very much. I tried to start it back in June to load it on a trailer to move to Abilene and it would not start. I finally got it loaded and towed it to Abilene but it still would not start after checking and adjusting a few things. Come find out this ethanol they put in fuel eats the gas tank and clogs the fuel system if not run for any length of time. Costly mistake. She runs now but has a new tank, fuel pump, fuel filter and injectors cleaned.

That really sucks.

I have a recent post about my "Crusade Against Ethanol." This adds fuel to the fire.

*Realized the pun after the sentence was typed. Keeping it.

Were you running E85? Only the '04 and '05 can do that.

E10 is nasty, but I never heard of that much damage. Except small carburated engines.

Crucial info Eddie. E10 if no other choice, never E85 unless it's flex fuel rated vehicle. (FFV)

Steve,

my trac is FFV/E85. I wont and never have used E85.

I have never seen E85 around me.

Thanks.

This is a very common issue with older jet skis. They sell line specifically for ethanol fuel as the lines deteriate, break down, plug carbs and injectors, and rupture due to fuel pump pressure.

Older 2 cycle mowers are starting to show same concerns...

Yep, the early Sport Trac's were not Flex-Fuel vehicles and do not tolerate ethanol levels over 10%.

I have not found any gas stations around here that sell ethanol free gasoline, and I have never even tried E-85 even though my Mercedes claims it can run on E-85....There used to be only one gas station around here that sold E-85, but I think they dropped it because nobody wanted to buy it.

...Rich

Texas. It sat for a year but I went out and started it from time to time.

It runs okay now. But I am considering trading it in and buying a newer model. Maybe one with a V8.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sat for a year but I went out and started it from time to time.

Fuel got stale the e10 asorbed moisture and gunk settled in the bottom of the tank.

Happened to a freinds yamaha within a few months of sitting. Worse part was he left the fuel shut off on. Carbs got it to.

Latest posts