Lean bank 1 and lean bank 2.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title states, my 2001 Sport Trac is throwing codes for lean bank 1 and lean bank 2. It's obviously the V6. Haha. Automatic with a 196,xxx miles on the clock. When I start it, it stumbles like crazy (hot or cold starts) and almost dies. Once it gets passed that, it runs perfectly fine. Unless, you try and go passed roughly 75% throttle. It just falls on its face and pulls a lot of power. I'm thinking clogged fuel filter, vacuum leak or warped intake manifold.

p0171 and 174 codes? If so, and you have a Job 2 engine, the PCV elbow has probably struck again. If not, MAF sensor or intake gaskets are two other possibilities. See link below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuel filter is a five minute fix. How many miles since last change? I'd eliminate the easy item first. If you don't want to mess with it you should be able to get it done for $50 at a fast lube. Engine air filter in good shape? Take that out of the loop too. Condition of spark plugs?

Vacuum leak problems disappear once you start moving unless you have a huge vacuum leak. If you had a vacuum leak that large though the vacuum cleaner sucking sound under the hood would be a dead giveaway.

Sounds to me like you have a bad, or extremely dirty, Mass Airflow Sensor.

I went through vacuum lines. All looked fine. I'm searching for the PCV elbow, but with all this clutter. I can't seem to locate it. I work on Mustangs. Haha. Quite a bit more room. I see the two lines that go to the intake plenum on either side, but I seriously can't see where it goes. Haha. I'm still searching. Fuel filter was replaced about 30k miles ago. The air filter was changed the last time I did the oil about 1,500 miles ago. I'll clean the MAF and keep searching. I'm fairly limited on tools in my lame apartment complex. I may just go to my machine shop and start taking things apart. I'm really rooting for a vacuum leak...

Only the Job 2 has the the PCV elbow. Click link below the picture.

Job 1 Engine

[Broken External Image]:

I did and my arrangement isn't anything like that. I don't understand this job 2 and job 1 thing. I'm not a huge enthusiast for this truck. I just like it and it is my grocery getter. As I said before, i'm a Mustang guy. So, I'm not too familiar with the terminology and can't find a PCV Valve elbow. From what I read, I don't have one. How am I supposed to replace something I do not have? Haha.

If I can see under the plastic cover, than maybe. It was built in May of 00 if that helps for anything. It looks generally like that. I can tell you I don't have a PCV elbow, and it is the Y looking hose setup. Which I pulled off and everything is fine there.

If your oil filler cap is on the driver's side of the engine as in the photo above, then you have a Job-1. Job-1 is the designation for all Sport Tracs made BEFORE June 28, 2000.

If your oil filler cap is on the passenger's side of the engine, then it is a Job-2, built AFTER June 28, 2000

There are other differences in the Job-1 and Job-2, but the Oil filler cap location is the easiest to remember.

If you have a Job-2 it is probably the PVC elbow that is cracked...very common problem.

If you have a Job-1, you have a vacuum leak that you need to trace down. Could be a vacuum hose or even a cracked or leaking intake manifold (they are plastic and prone to cracking)

....Rich

I can tell you I don't have a PCV elbow, and it is the Y looking hose setup. Which I pulled off and everything is fine there.

I found it and can't get it off. I'm starting to think that it is highly unlikely considering all the hoses feel perfectly fine.

Huh? You have a Job 1 if your build date is May 2000. (See Richard L's post directly above) What specific lean code numbers did it throw? The Job 1 is known for brittle and leaking upper and lower intake gaskets, especially cold. Carefully spray carb cleaner around the intake and see if the idle changes. If so, I can link you to a repair procedure if you want. GL

by swshawaiiMember Profile,10/17/2013 19:52 MT

Quote:

. Carefully spray carb cleaner around the intake and see if the idle changes. If so, I can link you to a repair procedure if you want. GL

Be careful doing this. 1st, the carb cleaner can ignite. 2nd, the liquid carb cleaner can wick into the intake manifold and give you a false positive reading for a vacuum leak. The preferred method is to introduce propane (I use a propane torch with a hose on the end of it) The propane will only get drawn into a vacuum leak so there is no doubt. 3rd, sometimes the fuel trims may be severely out of whack and using carb cleaner or propane will not tell you anything because the pcm is trying to compensate for the vacuum leak by shutting down the IAC and you may not hear a change in idle. When this happens you need to have a scanner plugged in and monitor the short term fuel trims as they will respond instantly to the added fuel (propane or carb cleaner) being introduced into the system. This method is also highly effective in locating the exact source of the vacuum leak.

You have a Job 1 engine, solely based on the build date. I also have a Job 1 engine, and this problem is caused by the intake manifold gaskets leaking.

If you're handy, you could probably do this yourself, otherwise take it to a pro. With labor, along with the $10 worth of gaskets from Ford, the fix is $300-$400.

i had the same problem with mine recently. i noticed it after i had ran my fuel tank nearly empty. i replaced the fuel filter and the problem was solved. simple and inexpensive. i normally replace my filter every 30k miles, when i ran my tank empty it only had about 7k on it. when i pulled the filter it was extremely black (the fuel) on the inlet side. crazy how much junk is at the bottom of the tank at 60k miles.