leaking seals

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Chio

Reaction score
So I changed my rear drums and shoes this weekend. While I had the Trac on the lift I looked at the underside only to find two leaks. The first leak was at the FWD driveshaft input pinion. The second is apparently coming out of the FWD side of the engine behind the crank pulley. Any suggestions on how much this is going to hurt? I am willing to do the labor myself.

Input seal is not a big deal, pretty straight forward.

If I understand you right, I think you are describing the seal behind the harmonic balancer.

If this is the case, they are a pain in the but.

The seal is cheap, but to get to them is fairly labor intensive.

In many cases, (I say many as I do not know if this is true for the Trac), you need to remove the radiator as there is not enough room to get the tools into the area that are needed to "PULL" the balancer off.

Someone that has done the job on the Trac will jump in and clarify that aspect. But pretty much everything attached to the front lower engine has to come off to get to the seal.

As above, I have not done the job on a Trac, but I am 99% positive you will not have to touch the pan bolts...

I have NEVER seen an engine where the pan was needed to be removed to change the harmonic balancer seal.

That said, I have pulled some balancers and found the actual leak to be the front oil pan gasket... Then of course the pan needed to come off...

Latest posts