Leaking Hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Smith 2

Reaction score
This is on a 03 4x4 ST. I noticed Saturday a small oil like spot in the garage. Upon further review I found a small hose clipped onto the frame behind the front drivers side tire. It has some sort of cap on it and the cap is somewhat loose. This appears to be the source. Just looking at the fluid it appears to be gear oil. Without jacking it up and taking off the tire I couldn't follow the source of this hose. Any ideas. Thanks

The hose is a vent for your front axle. If the hose has dropped below the level of the fluid, it will leak...

Check to see if the hose has come out of the holder, if you cannot find the holder, then wire tire it to a higher point. Do not crush it with the wire tire, it is intended to allow air to travel in both directions based on the temperature of the oil within the housing...

It has a small plastic cap on the end but is real loose. Thanks for the help. I hope that does it. I got real nervous when I first noticed the leak since I just bought this ST about 6 weeks ago.

The small palstic cap helps prevent dirt from getting jamed into it, but at the same time allows air to vent in and out.

Tom

Latest posts