Leaking hard tonneau and seatbelts that don't retract

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Took the truck in this morning for a range of small things. They found the leak for the hard tonneau center hinge is coming from the rubber gasket. Anybody replace this and how much is it?

Also, they can't do anything about the seatbelts that don't retract other than teflon lube the mechanisms. They are factory set to be weak because people complained that they were too restrictive. Argh!

Other small things:

1) Rear cover on the center seatbelt needs replacement, it always falls off

2) Clear plastic cover on dash (over all the gauges) has a small crack getting bigger over time.

3) Color coating is rubbing off around radio.

4) Windsheild sqirter is hitting the windsheild too low. They replaced it.

5) Oil change.

They're keeping the truck overnight, and paying for a loaner. They need to check with the manager about coverage on the tonneau leak and the dash things. They're moving both car seats over for me, so it's not really a big deal for me.

They wanted to do the '30,000 mile checkup' which includes the tire rotation. Why would I want them rotated to prolong their life? The shorter their life the better - and the sooner I get the BFG all Terrains again, baby! I've just gotta go back to the closest equivalent to the 325x60_r15 All terrains I had on the lifted Ranger. Loved that truck. They were 31 inch tires, just really wide. Thinking of going to the 33x12.5 tires.

--Bob

Bezel is free if your within the coverage of your warranty.

Seat-belts, being a safety issue they do have so liability to them. If they truly do not retract, then that is a safety concern and they need to replace them. It will be free as well.

They need to retract back to you body with slight pressure against you, if they do not, then they are defective and may not act properly in the even of an accident.

The momentum of you body is part of what activates the lock mechanism of the belt as well as the general inertia itself. If the belt is not against you when you collide, then you will suffer more bodily injury.

Thanks guys. The seat belts do work fine and have the normal light tension, but it's not strong enough to consistantly lift the seat buckle all the way to it's 'put away' location against the pillar. As a result, when you take off the seat belt and get out of the truck, the door slams on the not-quite retracted enough yet buckle, causing both a horrible 'clang' and leaves yet another chip mark in the door jamb. Slightly worse when it's set for a small person with the seatbelt height adjusted down and the seat adjusted forward.

Thanks for the news on the tsb for the radio bezel, I'll make sure mention that if they try to charge me for it.

--Bob

Same problem here with the seat belt. Had it replaced once under warrenty, as it would not retract at all. Now, it just goes to the full retract position very slowly. It still works, but is a pain. About $150 to have replaced by dealer out of warrenty.

Latest posts