last game at yankee stadium

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
as a met fan, i must say the last game tonight is moving.

all of the famous yankees that played in the stadium and the history is unbelievable !

well, back to watching it on tv, and my hats off in celebration of the "house that ruth built"

[Broken External Image]:

gary s., I remember going to the old stadium as a kid with my little league team. I yelled to Roger Maris and he turned around and waved to me. WOW, I think that was around 45 years ago, but I can still see it.

@ Bigjorkiee and rob:

7471bec9f917eda4f64b61ed9c5fd959.jpg

As a true Yankee fan*, I enjoyed the celebrations but when they had 'body doubles' for those Yankees that are no longer with us, I did not really take to that. Footage of the player would have been better than some goon in a Yankee uni.

Would have loved to have been there or to have at least gone to a final game this year with my 9 year old but $$ & logistics got in the way.

The new stadium has a look more like old Yankee Stadium (pre-1974/75) upgrades. I hope the ghosts can find their way across the street to keep the mystique of Yankee Stadium going, although it has seemed to wane in recent years.

Glad they did not take home plate over to the new place yet, the Yankees ARE NOT DONE! Boston gets swept by Cleveland, Yanks sweep Toronto and then it would be down to NY/Bos. NY sweeps then it would be a 1 game series. At that point I would dust of Bucky F'n Dent to coach third and put Aaron F'n Boone at first.

You may not like the Yankees but you have to respect them (and the 26 rings) -

JT#14

*Second son's middle name is Mattingly.

Wife would not go for son #3 to have Mantle as a middle name although he was born on the same day, June 8 (not year) as when the Yankees retired his #7 (year was 1969).

Is Fenway NEXT?

Or would PETA sue the Sawx to protect the natural environment for all the rats there?

(BTW, Travis:

a TRUE Yankee fan gives his kid the middle name "F'in"! :lol: )

(BTW, Travis:

a TRUE Yankee fan gives his kid the middle name "F'in"! )

No. That is a name that is "earned" from the chowder heads in the NE area. I can only hope that it is bestowed upon him someday for hitting a bomb in the late innings of a playoff game to break the hearts (pronounced hahrts) of Sox fans everywhere (especially now that they have all these bandwagon fans that have jumped on in recent years).

I went to the last game and it was pretty weak for being the last game. I am partial to The Redsox so maybe I am a bit bias but the whole legends part was pretty dull even to the yankee fans… The introduced the original starting lineup and look alike guys came running out including the Babe… They spoke of a bunch of older Yankee players I never heard of and again I am not a baseball guru but even the Yankee fans had trouble with this. I mean the starting pitcher of some 1930’s baseball game is garbage to these newer fans… They had boring swag and cheap gifts also a cheap refrigerator magnet and a cheap postcard with the old stadium on it… No Bobble heads or snow globes and no lucky car for some lucky fan…. ? The ovation for Jeeter was classic though and as a fan of the game even I got caught up in cheering for him, class all the way..

As far a Fenway there is no comparison, while the Yankee have a stadium we have a “park” which is truly what it is. The whole experience of Fenway beats New York hands down,. By the way Yankee Stadium was run down bad. They really do need a new park. The difference I find is that Fenway along with Camden Yards and Wrigley Field have an aura of baseball surrounding the park with bars, eateries and things close by for fans. Basically even if you don’t have tickets for the game you can come down and feel like your part of the game. I find in New York there is nothing really going on outside the park. We found a couple little dive bars but they were kinda seedy and people just do not hang out there…. I think Steinbrenner should think like a Kraft and maybe put something up outside to bring in more “no ticketed fans”…

Also they should have played the Sox for the last game there… It would have been great if there was a playoff race going on but go REDSOX!!!

Joseymack

Hey, there's PLENTY going on outside the Stadium...if you like crack ho's, want a Rollex* watch, or need your windshield cleaned...

Admittedly, the stadium area has deteriorated dramatically over the years. Hopefully, with da new place goin' up across da street, they'll add more "fan-friendly" areas---restaurants, shops, pubs, etc.

as a yankee hater, you have to give it to the yankees and the cathedral they played in.

hands down, no park/stadium even comes close with the history.

taking a slam against the neighboor hood around the stadium has nothing to do with great baseball history.

nothing beats it.

once again this from a yankee hater

Gary I give them credit for the rich history but the experience of going to Fenway vs Yankee Stadium is different and I think Fenway has the edge big time... This comes from having been to many parks and seeing people come to Fenway for the 1st time.... it is magical try it you just might agree...

Joseymack

joseymack, as someone who's been to every MLB stadium, I'll agree that Fenway is among the best--but it does have it's drawbacks as well. Much of Fenway (especially the exterior behind right field) is in crumbling disrepair. Sight lines and the number of obscured views are among the worst in baseball--not just in MLB, but at any level.

Is it better than Yankee Stadium? Absolutely. Among the best in baseball? Absolutely. But as perfect as you make it out to be? Not even close. IMHO, Wrigley, PNC (Pittsburgh), and AT&T (San Fran) are all better...

Last edited by a moderator:
i am not talking abouth the actual building, i am talking about the history that took place in the building. there is no other ballpark that has that excellence and all time history.

once again, i am far from being a yankee fan, but you must tip your hat to the facts

Sorry guys i was not trying to belittle Yankee Stadium I love the game and appreciate all the Stadium means which is why I went on a work night all the way there and made it to work in Cambridge MA. at 6:30 am... I just feel the last game could have been a little more OVER THE TOP from a regular game.... I think at least a squadron of f16's should have flown overhead!!!

Bill As far as Fenway goes your right it is not perfect.... But for a park it is pretty nice. It must have been a while since you been there, behind right field now is Open eating area with TV's and Vendors and seating areas. it is an open concourse back there now all nicely done over.... They have dumped millions into improvements just like this all around the park... It truely isn't the same park as 5 or 6 years ago...

Joseymack

Latest posts