Larger Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hanover

Reaction score
I asked this yesterday but no one really seemed to reply...Has anyone put large tires on their original factory rims. I thought I had P265/70rx16 tires but they actually are P255/70rx16's. I am thinking of going to a P285/60rX16. Will it cause any problems? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure they would fit, I just purchased a set of Michelin SUV tires for the winter but I can get a good deal on a set of BFG radial TA's in a P285/60rx16...I like the rims I have but I think a larger tire would look great on it. I am fairly new to all this and wanted to get other peoples opinion before I spend the $$$. What do you guys think of the BFG TA's/

You can actually put a 285/75-16 on them with the TT and Shackle lift. Unfortunately, only one tire on the market in this size is approved for this rim width though which is 7 inches..

I have them on mine (since 2001). They are Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX tires. Approved for 7 inch wide rims.

All other manufacturers of a 285/75-16 only approve them for a minimum of a 7 and 1/2 rim width.

See my pictures in the library.

Last edited by a moderator: