Lane splitting - Check out the video

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of bikes today, this is amazing. Dumb yes, but amazing.

You could never get away with this in the States (too much road rage-lane changing)

Maybe its more common over there and accepted because of the traffic situation but man that would piss me off here in the U.S.. The entire time watching the video I was hoping for a door to open. LOL

Just came back from Rome a few weeks ago. The video looks pretty much exactly like what everybody did there with scooters.

That is 100% legal in Japan. AND the motorcycle HAS the right of way doing it... I lived there for 6 years. Man what a trip

Amazing! Guess that is the only fast option with total gridlock like that. Can't imagine having to commute in traffic like that.

Think what surprised me is the amount of heavy truck traffic on those roads. We don't even see that much truck traffic on I-40 which is one of the most heavily used truck routes to cross the country from coast to coast.

Looks like the lane stripes have those reflectors that stick up, the ride looks rough going along those.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will grant that rider one thing, He is a very competent rider.

He is also very STUPID to ride like that in that heavy of traffic against regular drivers who also do stupid things.

Check out the speedo. between 80kph and 100+. The other drivers not thinking about opening a door. That is the big difference between north amercia and the rest of the world......respect on the road. Motorcyclist ( in north america) are treated as a threat and a menace to society, where as the rest of the world it is a main source of transportation.

I was in NY city when some idiot in a suit riding in front of me on a Honda tried that. Some guy opened the taxi door right in front of him. It was pretty funny at the time. Bent the hell out of that car door, and knocked himself off the bike, and just missed the passenger getting out of the cab.

Did I see a Sport Trac? J/K LOL

The Star Boyz do that all the time. They are from Akron, Ohio.

Tom

I remember California allowed this when I lived there. I wasn't used to it, and nearly took out a highway patrolman in Los Angeles with my RV. Living In rural Santa Barbara COunty, I had never seen lane splitting before.

There are two things in Japan that made that ride possible. One is that it is allowed by law. The other is that drivers in Japan (and Korea) are very polite and disciplined. I never saw an angry driver in Korea, and I hear Japan is the same way. I guess they don't know about road rage.

I'll tell you they have patience. I drove in Seoul, Korea numerous times and at rush hour you are quickly reminded that there are 12 million people living in that city. I've never driven in NYC, but I can't imagine it being any worse than Seoul, especially when you take into account that I didn't know where I was going half the time, and I didn't know the language. Once I was so lost trying to find the New Seoul Airport that I hired a taxi driver to lead me out of the city to the airport. :blink:

LaRue is correct. It is 100% leagal and is acceptable. This brings back memories of driving in Asia. Its amazing how people do not suffer from road rage. Unless its Korea and there is an accident. Once an accident has occurred then the fist come out. It's a different world!

Jerry

Latest posts