Kids not behaving? Why not sell their toys on E-bay!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Selling the toys, ok...publicly humiliating your kids, not ok.

If I had done something like that as a kid, my Dad would have beaten the snot out of me. There would be bleeding, and if I was lucky, no broken bones(truth). The offending appartus would be trashed, never to be seen again. Any savings I had would go towards repair and he would tell me to go out and mow lawns until I had enough for the repair(truth). Did this Mom overstep any boundries? She IS the parent and has all rights to punish as she see's fit. Any public humiliation on the childs part is beside the point. The people who damned her for being a rotten Mom, have no right to do that. I've seen kids today with little or no respect, lack of any motivation and who believe everything they have is a given right! Don't get me started on that topic. Bob :angry::angry::angry:

Bob, I'm not saying she's wrong in selling the toys by anymeans. Just like a parent sells kids toys in garage sales all the time. But if you read the caption, she's going to sell toys until she gets to the $500,000 (and she raided their piggy banks too). I'm thinking if she's got enough for a $500,000 tub, she can pay for it too. I just think she could've omitted the picture and mentioned why she is selling them. Her kids look to be pretty young, and I wonder if she even gave them a warning or if she just did this as the first step in punishment.

It's the public humiliation that I only have an issue with; really only the picture, not necessarily posting the story. Other than that, solve the problem so that it does not happen again. Parents who believe time outs and constructive criticism are the only ways to deal with behavioral problems are naive. I say that I have an issue with it, but only insofar as I wouldn't have done that, but I don't make any judgments about her parental skills because of this. It is far worse to be a child's friend than an authoritarian, IMO.

The problem with people making a big deal out of her selling toys is the belief that those toys are somehow the exclusive property of the child and can only be treated as such and disposed of with the child's permission. A parent NEVER needs permission from their children for any reason.

I agree with Bob C.

And this statement is spot on:

"I've seen kids today with little or no respect, lack of any motivation and who believe everything they have is a given right!"

I saw that later, I couldn't quite read the small print on that page. We've got nosey people at work, so I have a minimized window...:banghead:

Kids today are given too much, and too little is expected of them.

If a photo of your kid crying posted on an eBay auction is what constitutes "public humiliation" these days, then I have absolutely no problem with that.

When I was a kid, so-called public humilation was the sting of a backhand to the side of the head, or an open hand to the cheek, followed by the dazed feeling and sudden flush of the face, usually in response to talking back one too many times. Had that happen to me more than once and in very public places.

If parents today smacked their kid like that in public the way my parents did to me, well, I guess authorities would be called. Mind you, that's what happened to me in public...and I was a very good kid by all standards, then, and most certainly now. Worse happened in private.

My kids talk back, whine, and otherwise act out about the same as any well behaved kid today...and by all accounts are great kids. But they get away with far much more than I would have back then...or most kids got away with back in the day.

I do absolutely blame the erosion of children's behavior on our society, as a whole. It used to be it was commonplace to hit your kids, and it really only had to be something you did to them when young. They learned discipline. Today, society frowns upon it so it is difficult for parents to go that route lest the authorities get involved.

Just to be sure, I don't abuse my kids, and I am not recommending such. There will be those on here that say NO amount of physical punishment is acceptable. I respect that opinion.

But, I will say this: We as a society for the most part stopped corporal punishment at home, and at schools, and have raised a couple of generations now that have many within that aren't "scared" of anything...parents, authority, God. I don't want to have to motivate through fear, but I am a believer that most people, young or old, tend to NOT respect that which they don't at some level fear.

Call me old school.

These kids were given too much.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting. She wasn't smart to post why she was selling them, that wasn't going to get her a high bid. (that was worth anything)

Latest posts