keypad not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Russell

Reaction score
My keypad stopped working a few weeks ago. It won't light up at all, is there a fuse or relay? also my ceiling compass/outside temp gauge stopped working too. It's paid off in 3 months what the hell!!

Borrowed from the link below -

Well, here goes.

Tools required: 1) wide'ish but slightly sharpened flathead to go into the small groove at the right side base of the pad, 2) razor/exacto knife 3) wife's sweatshirt to protect my paint job!

Step 1: Pry the crap out of the cover (less twisting/more prying), with any luck the backing tape will hold and the cover will not.

Step 2: (ugly part) make a circumferential cut around the soft button material as close as you can to the sealing groove that the cover was in.

Step 3: remove buttons, support plate, and circuit card from the base and replace the 3V BR2335 button style battery.

Step 4: Hope it all goes back together with reasonable weather resistance.

That was not for the factory installed key pad like the trac has so I would not try prying on it.. For the overhead console a little chip needs to be re soldered, which is a fairly easy project. I see you live in colorado so, if you are ever in salt lake I would be willing to help you fix the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really funny, because I have seen a lot of these posts lately... Ironically, both my compass AND keypad stopped working last week. I fixed the compass by giving it a few firm taps on the right hand side. (will only be a temporary fix I'm sure) I need some time to take the door panel off for the keypad repair tho. Interesting how many Tracs are seeing both these items go simultaneously lately. Good luck with the repair!

Latest posts