Keypad entry

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Drew

Reaction score
I recently picked up my '07 v8 ltd with 67xxx and have had a few minor problems, which are being taken care of one by one. I thought I would ask you all what you thought of this particular one:

The dealer never gave me the code for the keyless pad on the door. Is there a way to retrieve it if the dealer shrugs when I ask them about it?

Thanks

If you're curious the other problems consist of a dent I noticed and asked the dealer to take care of (they did), and an intermittent thud, or knock I was hearing from the passenger side, perhaps under the truck, or in the engine compartment, about every 30 seconds, louder if I was driving more. I brought it in today and they called and said it was a faulty AC unit dryer(?), or something to that effect, having to do with the defrost.

Since I bought the truck a couple weeks ago and it's still under warranty, they went and replaced it free of charge (How nice of them?). I know that they are really just expecting me to come right back :driving: to change the fuel/air filter (I already did a week ago) and then again for the infamous spark plug replacement, costing anywhere from 350$ - the U.S. national defense budget. :fire:

Otherwise the truck is a stud, I wish I could breed it and make little trucks! I'm getting 18 mpg and it still has the AT grapplers that it came with on. I'm going to buy some road tires and I'll be completely satisfied with my new truck. Oh, that reminds me, my spare wheel was rusted to shit, but the cable holding it up was in fine condition.

While I'm at it, the rubber cover on the toneau cover, passenger side pops off. It came in the center console, so I'm guessing the dealership didn't even bother, or bothered and didn't succeed to attach it back on, so it would stay. Any ideas? I tried my best, but it just seems too loose to hang onto it. Glue, epoxy?

Okay, :worthless:

[Broken External Image]:

The problem with the AC evaporator was fixed. Apparently it was building up pressure and banging against the heat shield.

Anyway, the truck is running smooth and I will be changing out the spark plugs this weekend. My broken plug extractor tool kit is on it's way and I have already amassed the rest of the necessary parts, tools and lubes.

Drew,

I believe this is still accurate for the location of the keyless entry code.

<a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/LocatingYourKeylessEntry%20Code2001FORDSPORTTRAC.pdf" target="_newwindow">Locating your keyless entry code.</a>

When I was in the shoe repair business, I used to use <a href="http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=ZD2TLMV8MNbeQH8HT14PGTgl" target=")newwindow">Neoprene Contact Adhesive</a> to secure soles to the shoe. Might work for your needs on the tonneau cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that wasn't what I expected. Nevertheless, it will probably have to be done. I keep forgetting to ask the dealer about it, I'm just assuming they'll have no idea and the phone call will be redundant.

Is this stuff pretty much the same? It's about half the price of the 5oz tubes of that 3M 1357 for 13$. Spending that much on this little superficial problem will bleed me dry at that rate!

Appreciate it!

I believe this is still accurate for the location of the keyless entry code.

That's for the Gen 1 (2001-2005) Sport Tracs. Not sure if it's accurate for the Gen 2 (2007-2010) Tracs.

Awesome, that fixed it. Thanks Chris.

It was a pain in the neck and there was no way I was fitting my camera in there. I used the girlfriend's tiny vanity mirror and a flashlight. Barely got my hands in there and had to depress the brakes with my head just to see them!

Tip: Wipe off the area before trying to read the numbers. They will probably be dusty. I didn't notice at first and thought it was just really that difficult to see.

That took me like five minutes, a flashlight and a small mirror, instead of taking out the pass. airbag! Thanks ford! I sympathize with the gen 1 owners.

I also found something called 'Goop' and I think that will be a cheaper fix for the little rubber piece on the tonneau cover. If anyone has any experience with the stuff I would love to hear anything about it before I buy and apply it.

Thanks again.

Drew,

Sorry about the 01-05 link. Wasn't trying to send you the wrong way! I'm glad you were able to locate your code on the SJB.

For the glue you decide to use, you may want to stop by a leather shoe repair shop and see if they will let you bum or tip use of some of their sole adhesive. It comes in a can with brush tip lid. I don't know if every shop will carry it, but of the three stores of the company I worked for they had it. It was not the 3M, I was just giving you a product reference. The neoprene adhesive is marine grade and super durable. I suppose an epoxy could work just make sure it won't stiffen or damage the cover (if that sort of thing bothers you). In my personal exerience epoxy isn't a good bonding agent for plastic type auto repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also consider vinyl cement. Its used for bonding vinyl fabrics and materials and will not degrade the item it is applied to. I think you can get a tube for about 5 bucks at Lowes.

Well, the little rubber cover is actually useful and does cushion the T. cover when you flip it open all the way. That's my main concern, secondary is simply cosmetic.

I'm looking at automotive GOOP. I'm wondering if that will stiffen the rubber, as you said. From what I can read about it, it says it can be applied to both rubber and metal materials. I guess I may just have to take my chances with the goop? @5 a 5oz tube, it's looking hard to beat.

The guy at the AZ said it worked great for the sole of his shoes... Maybe it's very similar to the stuff you're talking about. They do also sell a Marine Goop.

I was hoping someone would pipe in with the final word on the goop!

Appreciated, as always.