keyless entry

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Lyle

Reaction score
Dropped the keyfob Sunday and now it doesn't work. The keypad still unlocks and the key works. Don't have but the one fob/one key. Since the fob is most likely broken, what are my options for getting another fob and/or reprograming...?

Is this a Ford dealership trip, or can any fob be programmed?

Thanks in advance, cause as usual, I'm sure I'll get an answer here.

I'm pretty sure you can program them. They are all over E-Bay, so see what they cost and then check your dealer and see if it's not much more than you can get it on E-Bay. If it's close just save the shipping charge on E-Bay and get it from your dealer and program it yourself. I think it's in the manual on how to do it.;)

here is the the verbage from the 01 manual.. you can program them yourself..

To program the transmitters yourself:

Place the key in the ignition and turn from LOCK to OFF

and cycle between OFF and ON eight times in rapid

succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the

ON position. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that

programming mode has been entered.

Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button

will lock/unlock to confirm that the remote programmed. (If more than 20 seconds

transmitter button, the programming mode will have to be repeated.)

Repeat the previous step to program additional The doors will lock/unlock to confirm

been programmed.

When you have completed programming the ignition to OFF. Again the doors

programming has been completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't get yours working (battery issue or re-program) you can get them from ebay pretty cheap. I have seen many go for $15.00

When I bought my sport trac, used, it didnt come with a key fob. I bought one off eBay for I think $15. Took me about 20 seconds to program it. Definitely beats going to the dealership and paying $80 to have them do it.

I have a question. I have no clue what my door pad code it. On my explorer the code was printed inside a compartment in the rear. I cant seem to find it on the sport trac anywhere, did they print them on the sport tracs? Not that I really need it, but if I somehow lock my keys in the car, it would be a good options hehe