Kenseth Wins at Daytona

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
Matt Kenseth has just been declared the winner of this years rain shortened rac, he has looked strong the entire race and took the lead about 2 laps be fore a race caution that turned into a rain caution.

WTG Matt and Ford

Great drive. He did not win a race all last year and he started dead last in a backup car and steadily moved to the front for the victory. Even though it was a rain shortened race, everyone was trying to get to the front because they knew the race could be called if the rains came. So it does not diminish his victory in any way.

...Rich

Man, what a great time I had there. Being the only Kenseth fan, let alone a ford fan in a sea of Dale Jr fans and chevy fans, it was freakin awesome. They were all giving me crap about wearing my roush racing / kenseth gear when we first got in, then I had the last laugh, great time all day yesterday.

Crapper about it is, they didn't start the race until 330 pm, latest start ever, had they started at 1 or 2pm, they would have finished before the rain got in and i would not have drank as much, thus my head would not be hurting as much today.

A win is a win, go kenseth...

I think he would've had a good chance to win even if the race continued. His car was in the top 10 most of the race, which is amazing since he started way in the back and made it up to 3rd by lap 40 or 41. It was nice to see 3 Roush-Fenway Fords running together for parts of the race. Kenseth's best move though was driving through the big wreck unscathed. Also it was nice to see Harvick graciously saying he repaid Matt for the 07 Daytona 500 when Matt pushed him to victory.

GO Roushkateers!!!!!!!!:banana::cool:

Andy

:angry:unfortunately we will never know since the prince of nascar

that never does anything wrong caused that pile up on the

back straight.

he was clearly pissed off for being blocked same as leffler was the

day before but the outcome penalty wise wasnt the same even though

the replays clearly show him steering in to vickers.

its beyond me how someone who has never won a championship,

has not won that many races in his career despite being in quality

equipment and with so little talent has so much backing not only from

so called fans but from nascar powers that be.

Jr cant hold a candle to his old man and doesnt live up to the name

Rich, I think he's only popular becasue of his dad and what he did for NASCAR. They were commenting on how a guy did the same maneuvar in the Nationwide Race and got a fine and penalty, but Jr. Didn't because they deemed his unintentional. I think if they would've fined him, the fans would be in an uproar. Did you notice him complaining about his tire being on the line and caused him a lap and he was saying they should revisit the rule because his tire was on the white line by an 1". In my opinion, if they were too allow it touching the line and you just can't be over, he'd complain if his tire was an 1" past the line too. They've got to draw the line at some point, and he just happens to park on it (when he was able to find his pit stall)

Relax CHristopher. I am happy for Ford and Jack Roush, but come on Kenseth has the personality of a nat!! If he drove Toyota would you be cheering for him.

I wish Ford had a good driver. I do like Edwards. But, lets be honest, Chevy has the best of the best drivers out there. Well, except for Jr....................:eek:

The main thing is Matt won in a Ford. He only did what the last 3 or 4 winners of this race did. He was not the best car, but he stayed out of trouble, was lucky, and was in the right place at the right time. Way to go Big Blue, Roush, and Matt!

Dale Jr said the accident was caused because Vickers came down on him and when he pulled back up he started to loose it and bumped into Vickers and sent him spinning. He said it was not intentional. If you look at the replays you will see that Vickers came down hard on him and Dale Jr. had no place to go accept the grass and he started to loose it, and nearly did when Vickers spun, he actually did go down into the grass.

If it was deliberate NASCAR would have fined Dale Jr since a similar incident happened in the Nationwide race and fines were imposed.

...Rich

all i can say is look at the replay's again and you will see

he IS NOT out of control as he claimed and cleary did steer

back up in to vickers. although i dont think he expected him to snap

back to the right as he did in front of the field but do think

his intent was taking vickers out which he did including

10 other cars 5 of which had a chance at winning the daytona 500.

Its funny how you have an in car camera on you during the race but

they dont show that replay at all, hmmm i guess that camera must

have quit for a few seconds.

and NO nascar wont fine him because he is their current goldenboy

nascar does not hand out penalties equally and never has which is

why they are losing fans at an alarming rate.

Reblford - Who than had the best car. Let's see, Matt started 43rd (last place). Climbed to 21st on lap 25 and was top 10 top 5 all day and won the race. Just because Kyle led the race for a while does not mean he had the best car.

So this is the "Super Bowl of NASCAR" and they end it after three quarters? It's no wonder their ratings and attendance are going in the dumper.

I remember when there was real racing out there, not glorified IROC.

ss

Rich M.

NASCAR does not have any "Golden Boy". It was only a few years that Dale Jr said a 4 letter word during and after the race interview and lost 50 points, and any shot at the NASCAR title that year.

NASCAR would not exist if they showed favoritism towards andy driver. Dale Jr was not finded by NASCAR because it was just a racing accident and there is no evidence that it was intentional. Vickers came down hard on him and left him no place to go but the grass. When he tried to move back up he bumped Vickers rear and that started him spinning and Dale Jr ended up running into the grass anyway. Dale Jt had a very good run at Vickers and although Vickers has the right to protect his position, he pulled down on Dale Jr. way too late and tried to force him off the track. It's just a simple case of two stuborn drivers trying to put their car in the same place on the track....That's usually how most wrecks happen, even if you are right or wrong

Dale Jr. has done some boneheaded things, and has wrecked his car and caused others to wreck, but I never seen him do anything to deliberatly wreck someone. Just stupid things, and nearly every driver on the track is guilty of that.

...Rich

I am sure that if Matt had had the best car that he would have been out there leading when he could. He would not have just waited to do it when he did. He would not have just set there in the top 10 knowing that the further back you are the more trouble there is likely to be. Coming from the back to the front in a restrictor plate race, yes takes a good car, but most all of the top teams can do it, but once they get towards the top 10, they slow somewhat. Yes Matt had one of the best cars, the best, I do not think so!

Richard L

i have to disagree, blocking is a product of nascars rules and has been since the restrictor plates came to be but no matter how you slice it, he wrecked him, he didn't need to get in to the back of him as the replays show he was not in the grass and was going straight when he turned back up on to the track and hit him, the boy was frustrated after making 2 costly mistakes and showed his frustration on the track.

I call it 50/50. Jr. had a good run on Vickers. Now Vickers made a legal block but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something, especially with a lot of race left. Jr. had nowhere to go, but then if you pass below the line it's a penalty. Dude was just trying to get back up the track where he's supposed to be. He might have been able to avoid hitting Vickers but if Jr. slows too much then he gets plowed into from the rear and the same thing happens. He just brushed Vickers' bumper as he was moving right to get back on the track.

On the other hand if Vickers just holds his line and Jr. passes underneath, then nothing happens.

First off, it was lap 124 (or 134) and there was no need to block with so much racing left (regardless of whether it was legal or not). Secondly, was Jr. having a bad day, sure, but none of us know what he was thinking. Third, Vicker's only win came from bumping Jr. & JJ out at Talledega CHANGING the outcome of the race in his favor. And fourth, if this was Sr. he would have said "screw them, this is racing with the Big Boys".

Latest posts