Keeping Camel Interior Clean

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
Well, I finally got rid of my 1994 Ranger STX, which I bought brandnew and have been driving for the last 200k miles. Since I had so much luck with the Ranger and the 4.0 engine (which still runs good), I decided to buy the Sport Trac with the 4.0. Problem is, I bought a 2007 clearance model sight unseen. I love the exterior color (mineral gray), but the interior Camel Cloth interior is much lighter than I anticipated. I really like it, but it scares the heck out of me with a 6 year old and 8 year old! Do any of you have this interior and if so, how does it hold up? How easy does it clean? What do you clean it with? Any advice would be great.

As I was saying, I really love the vehicle, but the interior just scares me. Well, the only other thing I would change, I wish there was a small compartment for pennies or something like that...the Tacoma I was looking at has a small compartment. My old Ranger had a place for quarters, dimes, and nickels and a small area I used for pennies and other things. The Sport Trac has no "handy" compartments????

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used some stuff called "Tuff Stuff" at Walmart, etc, in a yellow/red can, does a good job on all cloth interiors, with a light colored interior, you will need to "stay ahead of it" so to speak, keep it clean and don't let stains etc, stay there very long. They also make a "fabric protector" for auto interiors, and it works pretty good too, but you need to put it on while its clean, and before any stains get on it. both available in the auto sections most places. the fabric protector will help with the kids ,most spills, etc. will not set into the fabric, and clean easier as well especially if you don't let they dry and then be covered up with additional dirt and spills, etc.

I have the camel interior, I scotchguarded the seats but they still attracted dirt, so I broke down and bought seatcovers.

inside the center console storage bin there are slots for quarters dimes and nickels but no coinbox.

Those rangers are indestructable, I know of several people that sold them with 200K plus miles on them and they were still going. I hope your ST gives you the same results.

Those rangers are indestructable, I know of several people that sold them with 200K plus miles on them and they were still going. I hope your ST gives you the same results.

Sold my '90 2.3L Ranger in 2004.....had 259,000, and still going strong.

Took my '07 ST V8 Limited back for the fourth time today. Check engine, and

"wrench" lights on.......stayed in one gear. Just had the mechatronic thing

replaced in Sept.:(

Got a F150 loaner for a few days.:unsure:

I miss a place to put change as well. I put a foam drink coolie in the drivers door pocket towards the front where it it rounded out. Perfect place for spare change. Put one on both sides, maybe your passenger will fork over some change!

My camel interior is kind of a pain to keep clean, but the grey interior is also very light and would be hard to keep clean.

I want a charcoal/black interior like a Dodge intrepid that my wife used to have--now that would be great!

Here's Bear Grylls method for keeping a camel interior clean. :blink:

USN-ret: Tell your dealer to check the connector on the TCM. I had the same problem you did and it turned out that the sleeve that goes into the TCM was leaking and the harness for the Tranny was shorting out. If they pull the harness off the tranny they should see fluid right away!

PS. I have the camel interior and alittle woolite goes along way to keep the leather clean.

Scotchgard is good but it does not keep fabric from getting dirty, it just makes it easier to clean.

Either keep after it or get seat covers. If the Stanley Steemer guys come to your house, they will also do your interior for a few bucks. Official price is about $60 but I've found that a $20 bill for lunch money will sometimes work. ;)

Camels are NASTY, no matter what you do.:lol::lol:

[Broken External Image]:

Yeah, LaRue, if you want to keep the interior of a camel clean, I would have to recommend lots of fiber and frequent enemas. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts