Kayaks...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Hey guys- I'm getting a kayak for my birthday (Necky Manitou Sport 11') and now I have to figure out how to transport. I did a search and saw a few set-ups that you guys have, but I'd like to see a few more. I'm thinking about using the Thule Hull A Port, but what I'm concerned about is being able to get the Kayak up on top of the truck by myself if I go paddle alone. What are your experiences with loading and unloading? Thanks!

Start working out. :p You could rack it on the roof...or just put it in the bed with the bed extender out and strap it...though it is kind of long. Hmm...

A harbor freight bed extender would work, though you would have about 7 feet of it hanging out the rear--just waiting for an inattentive driver to pull into it. :)

Check out my library, I have three kayaks straped to a Yakima/Loadwarrior setup. One "Yahoo" 11' long. One "Rapido" 9' long and one "Waveski" 9' long. This setup works good but be ready for a little work out to get them on the roof. I can do 75mph on the highway and they won't move a bit. My truck has a 3" body lift a TT and 285/75R16 tires. I can still reach everything even though I'm only 5'9".

Currently I have Yakima Hullraisers to carry the Rapido and I removed the Loadwarrior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there, I used the Yakima low riders, and I had to side load the boat each time. After a long 6 hour paddle, yes it is tough to toss it up over two sets of saddles, however if you get the rollers for the back you can easily roll it up no prob. The eclipse is kevlar, so its about 45 50 pounds, and about 17 18 foot long. I have driven hundreds of miles at 50+ mph, with zero trouble. nice setup and looks cool too!!!! Hope it helps[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts