K&N Intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott H

Reaction score
How many of you guys have a K&N intake system in your Trac? What do you think about it? Sound? Performance? MPG? I am getting one for my birthday in September. Is the 77 Series worth it for the chrome?

Thanks a lot yall.

if its the whole intake system for the price I would go with th MAC intake that www.explorerexpress.com has (its what I have) Its cheaper and just as good. What alot of people do (because we dont exactly run high performance engines) is just buy the 30.00 ebay intake.

Its up to you.

When my intake is clean i feel a but better accelerations and as long as im easy on the gas pedal i get about 1-2 mpg better than stock

I got it , The sound is not much different. It did increase the MPG. I like the black because it looks stock but as many members point out the MAC system works and looks good and it's cheaper. But I still like mine:D[Broken External Image]:

buyer beware is all i got to say....i have the k&n just like the one in the pic above and either it is a lemon or something is wrong with my truck...because it causes my truck to surge when i let off on the gas....and also i get about 1 to 2 miles to the gallon less than with my stock airbox and filter...its almost got to be the filter because i have re-installed my stock stuff and the problem went away...needless to say i am in the process of returning it to k&n......although i wish i knew someone that lived near me that had one of these that i could test out to make sure it was the filter before i sent it back.....at anyrate.....i just thought i would let you know...

when you install any performance product you should always reset your ecu by disconnecting your battery for 15 minutes .unless you have an xcal 1 or 2

There are no real issues on the K&N FIPK. I've had several on various vehicles (presently have one on my '03 Trac). I'd prefer the FIPK over the K&N panel filter 'cause I think that the amount of square inches on the panel filter is a little low for free breathing in a Trac (IMHO). A MAC or similar type low restriction intake will also serve you well. I know the characteristics of the oiled gauze K&N filter, but know nothing of the other products filter characteristics.

Latest posts