K & N air filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw at an auto store the other day a display showing the difference in the amount of air flow between a K&N filter and a fram. and obviously the K&N allowed a lot more air thru. I mean a lot more......not just a little. does this translate into the truck running a lot better or little difference? and are the K&N's quite a bit more expensive ( I was going to ask but they were too busy) THanks

Mine cost me about $40. I got hooked when I had my Ranger. MPG is a little better, not much, but I did notice a little bit more acceleration.

Some say it makes a difference. Some say no difference. K&N doesn't claim improvements with the drop-in filters, though most seem to see very modest gains. K&N's main appeal is that the filter is cleanable and reusable for one million miles (20 cleanings every 50,000 miles) and that there will be 19 less filters in the landfill after that amount of time. Your filter part number for your 2004 ST is 33-2106-1 and will run you about $43 on-line. If you are looking for more performance there are the air intake kits offered by several manufacturers that replace the stock restrictive airbox. K&N's FIPK part number 57-2529-1 is the kit for your ST and they claim almost 7 HP at 5200 rpm. This kit will set you back $229. It also uses a cleanable filter (conical). You will also need a filter cleaning kit to clean the filter, part number 99-5000, $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking to do it cheap, the removal of the silencer and the drop in kn made a bigger difference than I expected. I got the mod bug and replaced the intake after only a couple hundred miles with the drop in but looking back I maybe should have saved the money. just my 2 peices of copper

I put a K&N in the Ranger I had before, I didn't think it made any difference in power or mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts