Just passed my Motorcycle Endorsement Class!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey STers. I have seen alot of bikes on here and know alot of you ride. I just finished the endorsement class here in Seattle, WA and really want to get into it. The girlfriend isn't too happy that I have yet another expensive hobby that I am getting into. Anyway, I had a few questions. Wondering what a good price to spend on a helmet would be? (saw one that I liked the other day for $400) Also, a good place to get a used bike? Craigslist? Paper? I figure it is the best way to learn and then splurge on a really nice bike when I have more experience. I am pretty excited about it and really liked being on a bike in the class. Thanks for any input.

Tommy

whats up tommy. welcome to the world of motorcycles! as for helmets they range from $90 all the way to over $700! dont know what your budget is but i would go for a Shoei or Arai helmet. as for finding a used bike... here in FL. we have a magazine called Cycle Trader, alot of good deals there. but if you dont have cycle trader in Seattle then just look in the local paper. make sure that they have a authentic title and that the vin numbers match. what type of bike are you looking for?? which ever way you choose to go have fun and be safe![Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
We just purchased another bike for my wife, we found it on craigslist. 1999 Kawi EX500. My SVS I found on ebay (fairly local seller) and offered him his buynow price as long as everything looked ok when I saw it in person.

As far as helmets I'm not a big spender, as long as it fits right and is both DOT and SNELL approved. Anything past that and it's just bells and whistles. Sure Arai and Shoei are nice, but the only real difference is the weight and ventalition and then you have to pay some for the name. I've always owned HJC's (AC models) which are in the $250 range.

Make sure you try on lots of helmets, they all fit different. It should be nice and tight, and it will break in some and get looser over time. Make sure it's tight enough to not wiggle around if you shake your head, and there should be no pressure points anywhere to make it hurt. It may sound stupid, but go walk around the bike shop with it on your head for a while.. your going to have wear it on the bike for hours so if it gives you a headache your out your money.

Don't buy a used helmet, motorcycle helmets are only made for one crash so without knowing it's history I would never trust someone elses helmet.

Oh yea and congrats! It's fun.

Congrats and be safe.

As a general rule, bikes from seasonal cold enviroments have less miles due to being only able to ride them 5 or 6 months out of the year. Also, bikes from that area get MUCH less Ultra Violet abuse (Sun Rays). Which means, hoses, lines, seats, lenses and things to that nature are normally in better condition as compared to west coast bikes for example.

Just something to consider when buying...

Congrats,

This is a great hobby to get into. Just be very careful out there. I would look at craigslist or the cycle trader magazines. I recommend the scorpion line of helmets. There lower end ones are around 150 or 200. Mine cost about 200 which I think is a great deal. They also have an anti fog faceshield, and I can tell you that it actually works. I will probably never own another brand of helmet. So which type of bike are you looking for? I recommend YAMAHAS :) Good Luck

Hey Guys, thanks for the info. I will be checking Craigslist more often now. I liked a Shoei helmet the other day, but it was around $400. The same helmet was $300 without the graphics, but you are right, some of that goes to the name. As for the bike, I don't know. I now look at bikes differently and want to ride each type. In the class, I rode a Honda Rebel and liked it alot. But I think it was more just the feeling of being on a bike that I enjoyed the most. But I don't know, I still have an apartment, so may be renting bikes for a while. We will see. I will post pics if I splurge and get a bike.

Hey SST, I went to the Evergreen Safety Council here in Seattle. I very highly recommend them. I have never ridden a bike before and feel very comfortable on one just after 1 weekend. Great instructors, fun class, and very helpful. I believe this is the link:

Tommy

there is a big difference between the shoei and hjc! dont get me wrong there all certified for crashes. i have a $180 hjc, and my friend has a $400 shoei. there both the same size yet the hjc feels like it could blow right off my head at higher speeds, the wind noise is greatly reduced in the shoei, and the venilation in the shoei is awsome! i will be getting a shoei as my next helmet! remember you get what you pay for ( i have actually seen the solid color-no design-shoei's going for $260), and i dont think that you would wanna go for cost effectiveness when it comes to protecting your dome!!

a 400 dollar helmet?! if you go to walmart you can get a heacy duty 60 dollar full faced helmet. Graphic will not be overly impressive but it will be safe and cheap.

I don't want to sound like I'm slamming you, but your comment about feeling comfortable after one weekend on a bike is scary! Comfortable leads to complacent which leads to getting run over.

I've been riding for MANY years and I don't ever want to feel comfortable! Always remember that EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD WANTS TO KILL YOU!!! You must keep a keen eye with a sort of uncomfortable feeling and you will do fine.

What style of riding do you want to do? Spirited canyon carving, squeezing thru traffic at high speeds, crusing, bar-hopping, or just commuting? Every style can tell you what sort of protective gear (including a helmet) you need.

Heck, you may not even want to wear a helmet, In my state it's my choice (after a suitable time learning). I didn't wear one for years until I got run over, now I do. Mine is a $150 carbon fiber half-helmet that is not SNELL or DOT but much stronger than either of these agencies requires. I ride cruiser style. I have a full face HJC for when I sport-bike.

Enjoy yourself, but never forget that EVERY CAR ON THE ROAD WANTS TO KILL YOU!!!

also, just from my experience with teaching new riders.

do your self a favor and don't buy a big bike to start with.

depending on how big you are buy something in the 500cc-650cc

range and ride it for a year so you can gain road experience first.

i know a lot of people that purchased a large heavy bike to start with

and found themselves in trouble right off the bat.

a few of them got so scared they sold the bikes and never rode again.

helmet wise you dont have to spend big bucks to get a snell/dot approved

lid.

the main difference i found with the higher priced helmets was less wind noise

but thats why they make soft sponge ear plugs, you can still hear whats going

on around you but you wont suffer that hearing loss in 20 years if you stick with

riding.

and CONGRATS:cool:

Yep! There is nothing like a MC! To be seen better by cars trucks and otherwould be crash into you artists-{"But officer-I never saw the MC!} you should look into getting a flashing headlight unit installed on your headlight. I got one for my Yamaha V-Max and it works well. Also, some facts/stats to consider:MOST MC accidents occur w/in 6 mos of first getting on the road w/ your MC. Take it easy and don't go flying into corners too hard! Lots of crashes lately around here lately[CNY]:eek:. It seems that the new Harley riders are finding out the hard way that their hogs don't corner . The big twins are like gyroscopes when pushed hard into corners! :eek:

Doc Cad: I owned a Harley Sportster years ago and just recently got a V-Max. The V-Max isn't a canyon carver but handles better stock than my old Harley did. The shorter stroke 4 cylinders cancel out the gyro effect much better.Plus, I added shorter shocks and lowered the front. The V-Max's gas tank is also under the seat for a much lower center of gravity.I like the quickness of it-it's a high 10 sec qtr miler -stock! But mine is not stock.. Its a great go fast cruiser that will blow off just about anything but a Hayabusa. Also, if I take it easy-I can get 45 mpg..What I'm planning on adding soon is an airhorn for the idiots who look like they are about to :ppull out in front of me!

"Its a great go fast cruiser that will blow off just about anything but a Hayabusa"-Jim

so how many sport bikes have you raced??? when your running high 10's you might be beating ninja 500's and some sport touring bikes. i dont think you would come close to beating my ninja 636. and i know you wouldnt come close to touching ANY of the 1000 cc sport bikes.

Ryan-I know that challenge never changes! My bike is faster than your bike! NO !My bike is faster than your bike.I've learned that no matter what you ride -someone is going to blow you away into the bushes sometime.:angry:No problem!There is more to riding than that for me: Ride what you like and buy what you can afford. I've ridden over 100K miles on a dozen diff ass't mc's over the years.. That does'nt make me an expert- but -You won't beat me in the mc stories department!:lol:

I had a friend that put a set of 4-into-2 headers on his Mr. Max, that thing sounded like a small block Chevy going down the road.

And don't worry, anyone that has ever dealt with Max's knows how brutal they are.

One other thing, Sportsters were HD's worst handling bikes, my Road King will easily carve better than my old Sportster.

Well Jim, i guess we will have to duel it out on the street :cool: . i have been beaten several times but they were all fellow sport bikes. never been tried by a cruiser. and with over 100k in riding time im sure you have a lot more stories to tell than i do. stay safe and watch for that black ninja to pull up to ya at a stop light some day!!!