Just Lubed Slip Yoke

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
I just Lubed my slip yoke by taking the drive shaft out. I just wanted to check...as long as the ends of the drive shaft are in sync with each other, it's in correct, right? I had thought that there was only one way to get the slip yoke back together, but mine didn't have a "double spline" as I thought was supposed to be there.

Unfortunately the ends of the driveshaft being lined up have nothing to do with it. the shaft is assembled and then balanced and the position of the ends is a moot point. Look at it this way, If you expereince a vibration at least you know what it is. We had a guy do this once and the only thing that he could do was to keep taking the driveshaft apart and turning it one spline at a time until he got it right...took him about 3 hours

so if i don't notice a vibration i'm fine? how noticeable would it be? i took it for a spin and didn't notice any vibration.

Also, I thought that drive shafts were balanced on their own, out of the vehicle...so shouldn't it be balanced regardless of what position it's in, since the balanced portion is all connected?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies L1 and BIll. I just took it for a test drive and didn't notice any vibrations other than normal road surface up to 80 mph, but just for my reference, are the joints on these shafts supposed to be "in phase"? In other words, if I was experiencing vibration, would a 180 degree rotation would be the only other logical position? Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean Bill...if I rotated the shaft 1 spline at the slip yoke, they would no longer be in phase.

By in phase, I mean the shaft should look like this ]----------[ right?

For future reference, anytime you have a 2 piece driveshaft always make reference marks on the 2 different shafts before before pulling them apart.

yea, that makes sense. I marked the drive shaft and where it connects near the rear diff, but had heard that there was a double spline up front so that the slip yoke would only go in one way, which wasn't the case. lesson learned, thanks all.

Latest posts