Just checking In

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
Some big updates since my last post. I was married on December 4th, and I will retire from the US Air Force as of the 1st of February. I will remain in Poland with my wife.

Congrats Nelson. Very preety bride. You deserve some happiness.

Hows your daughter doing? I didnt see her in the pics or I didnt recognize her.

Going to make a permanent home in poland? When my x-b-inlaw retired from 25 yrs AF. He took on the same work for the AF as civilian making 6 figures, in San antnio, Tx.

Something to do with homeland security and crypto mesaging.

Blessings for you and your new bride.

You bet your Dupa!! Shes a nice looking lady. Anytime you come back to the states, give us a holler and we'll make a day of it!! Congratulations, Bob Caffyn :grin: :supercool:

Thanks guys. She is a beauty with a heart of gold. I am very lucky.

My daughter is going to school at a university in Kentucky. She's already in her second year, and is very happy. I transferred my GI Bill to her, since I already have a degree. The Post-911 GI Bill is covering everything for her.

If you have a Facebook account, add me. I'm there every day.

Kevin,

You are right. I didn't even know we had Americans working in Poland back then. I bought my house in OKC six years ago and planned to live there the rest of my life.

I remember the OKC house myself...

Have you lined up a job as of yet?

Most in the military around 18 ish years seem to line one up by using the contacts they have found..

I had contacts in Oklahoma at 18 years, but lost much of that. I've been out of the US for four years. I can live on my retirement pension here. There are some possibilities, but I am not actively looking. I have a lot to do in the Spring.

I can live on my retirement pension here. There are some possibilities, but I am not actively looking. I have a lot to do in the Spring.

Oh that sounds so nice!!! :banana::banana::banana:

CONGRATS!!!

:grin:

Oh, and for what it is worth: :worthless:

Congrats on getting married!:haveabeer:

Don't forget to file a Benefits Delivery at Discharge claim with the VA. If you file the claim prior to separation, you should get a ruling from the VA within about 60 days of your retirement/separation date. I got my reply about 30 days after my retirement date.

If you wait until after you're separated to file a claim, it can take months or even years to hear back from VA.

Go through your medical record with a fine-toothed comb, and claim virtually []i]anything[/i] for which you went to sick call. The rule of thumb is that if it wasn't in your record prior to service, then it's service-connected. If you have a condition documented in your record that you had prior to service, then you can claim it as "aggravated by military service". Even if it's a condition that you don't really think is a big deal, put it on the claim just to get it documented in your VA record. That way, if it worsens years later, you can go back and submit a disability compensation claim for that previously documented condition.

Make at least two copies of your Service, Medical, and Dental records prior to separation. And don't forget to order a copy of your Service Record on CD/DVD if USAF Personnel Center offers it. I got one from USN Personnel Command. If you file a VA claim, then after separation, all of your records will go to the regional VA office that handles your claim for archiving rather than to the archives in St. Louis, MO. Once, there, they'll scan so that you can download it online in the future via the VA's <A HREF="https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal ">https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal </A>

web portal.

Hopefully, you have a Veterans Service Officer from DAV, VFW, American Legion, or some other service organization over there that can assist you with the claim. In my experience, that's the best way to do it.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but these are important things about which most separating/retiring service members have little to no knowledge; nor are ever made aware of; even senior folks such as yourself. So I try to pass on what I've learned in my experience with military retirement and dealing with the VA to as many folks as I can.:grin:

<A HREF="http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/general/bdd_brochure.pdf">Benefits Delivery at Discharge Brochure</A>

<A HREF="http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/factsheets/general/bdd.doc">Benefits Delivery at Discharge Fact Sheet</A>

Edit: I skimmed over your original post, and missed your actual retirement date. If you haven't already filed a BDD claim, then my whole point is moot, I guess. In that case, go ahead and file a claim anyway to get the ball rolling if you haven't already done so.

And congrats on your retirement!!! Welcome back to the civilian world!:haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Thanks for your service and enjoy your retirement.

I can't believe a person can serve our military and have to go through all that to receive government health care.

Latest posts