Just a FYI on H1N1...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Well, had it go around my home. My 5YO son tested posative for it last week, and we all here went down with "Flu-Like" symptoms. We did the considerate thing, STAYED HOME!!!! Now I can't say it was the H1N1 the rest of us got, since we weren't tested for it, but like I said, my son did. He's fine now and so is everyone else. Down for the count for a few days, then just trying to keep the fever down.

My advice is, if you get this virus or even the regular Flu, STAY HOME!!!! They will not treat the H1N1 any different than the regular Flu. All you will have accomplished is infecting others around you when you go out. Only seek medical attention if you get short of breath or the fever can't be controlled with Motrin/Tylonol. The reason I'm saying this is because I work at a hospital as an X-Ray Tech. We have had people in here all week wanting to be tested and treated for it. As I said before, there is no miracle cure. It will last at least 7 days, even with Tamiflu.

I may catch some flack on posting this, but i just wanted to throw it out there for you all. I've been through it, and came out on the good side of it. Yes, it sucks and kicks you in the butt for a week, but it is tollerable. Just be cautious if you need to go out.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Around this part of the country, once people get the first sign, which is a fever that goes from normal to 104 in an hour, they get home and stay there. They're doing a great job of SELF-QUARANTINE. The docs are doing their part by treating people via phone rather than having them come into the clinic. The only ones that are told to come in are those in the high-risk group that are having complications (pneumonia symptoms, underlying conditions, etc.). The clinics are doing a good job by issuing masks as soon as those people enter the place.

People are using hand sanitizer like water and coughing in the sleeves. People here are really taking this seriously and following the rules.

I, as a registered nurse, am getting my H1N1 vaccination on Monday.

Just to add, I was tested for it last week (my boss asked me to make sure). I was negative. But an interesting note, my doctor told me about an over the counter medicine that is basically a homeopathic version of tamiflu. The medicine is called Oscillococcium. My doc swears by it and prefers people even take it over tamiflu because it has no side effects. I picked some up from my local Walgreens. I ended up not trying it because I was not that bad, but thought if anyone gets the flu and only wants to go to the doc to get Tamiflu, this might be a good alternative that doesn't require a doc visit.

My wife had the swine flu two mos ago, real sick for a week at least,more like two weeks.

My Hospital made it mandatory that all Key people get the H1N1 vaccine.

Got mine two days ago.

Use the shopping cart wipes, get some if you can, use them on keyboards, doorknobs, elevator buttons,ANYTHING touched by anyone before you.

Keep a small spray bottle with 70% Iso Alc handy, use it.

Keep away from large crowds, this is an airborn handborn problem.

was at the grocery store an hr ago, lady up the way was hacking like crazy, turned around and got away from her. Stay safe folks.

bill, ny state it was mandatory for hospital and some health care workers, but now that has been put onhold since about 30% are refusing based on psnl rights.

to add to your disenfecting, you can use 10% bleech and water mix to disenfect some surfaces. no need to buy expensive disenfectents. we use this mixture on surfaces in our lab.

on a side note, the regular seasonal flu vacination is hard to get here on long isle. waited 2 1/2 hours at a local chain drug store for my son to get the shot. they advertised they were available from 2 to 6pm. got there at 1:30pm and by 2pm they stopped accepting people. they only had 50 shots !!!

still waiting for the H1N1 for my son. it is going to be available in early novemember, but from what i heard real scarce.

Did your son actually get the test for H1N1 or was it the test for Influenza A? Around my area they aren't actually giving the H1N1 test because it is too expensive, unless you have been hospitalized. They give you the Influ A test and if it comes back pos they just go ahead and treat it like it is actually H1N1. Hopefully in your case your son & the rest of your family it is only influenza A and not the H1N1. Good Luck!! Ray

raym2, yes they were all tested for the H1N1 so we didn't find out till 3 days later that he tested Pos. for the virus. He has Eosinophilic Esophagitis, and the medince he takes for it causes his immune system to be low anyway. So they made sure of what he had due to that fact. He handled it very well for as high as his fever would go near the end of the Motrin/Tyl dose.

All are well now. Just made for a rough week.;)

It just surprises me of all the people we have had to x-ray (chest) this week. Most had only been sick for a day or two and weren't coughing. Just felt like crap, so they thought they needed to come to the ER to get something to help them. All they ended up doing was spread it around. I thank the media for all the hype they give this thing. It's nuts. It's not even predicted to kill any more people than what the regular (Influenza B Virus) does every year. But since it's the "New Craze" they blow it out of proportion so they have something to report. Thus making it hard on Healthcare Workers to try and keep up with people that have a runny nose, but are sure they are going to die from this thing.;)

I'm not sayint its a good defense for going out, but there are a lot of people, like myself and I believe they said something like over half of the entire workforce, do not have paid sick time. I have PTO that is supposed to cover me for vacations as well as sick time. Money is extremely tight for me and it would suck to have to stay at home and not get a full paycheck or a reduced check as I only have a few hours of PTO left. I'm hoping my kids don't come down with this at all, because I would have to stay home for the 7 days as they wouldn't be allowed at daycare for a week, and then if I get it, I could be out for another week.

My wife works in a daycare. A few weeks ago they made a policy change that any child sent home sick cannot return for a week and only with a doctor's note. Most parents were understanding of this change, but there were a couple of them that were being real jerks about it. What most parents realized was it's all about keeping the kids safe.

Andy,

Most recent stat I could find back from 2007 was that 43% of the workforce, or something like 50M people don't have paid sick leave.

Be glad you have PTO that includes sick time. Be sad that there are over 2 months left and you only budgeted a few hours remaining. Good luck!

TJR

TJR, I had read the stat in a local newspaper, on the front page they have a little section with top stores and things to know. I was actually supposed to get my PTO replenished begining of November, but the boss wants to get everbody on a January to December PTO schedule, so I was planning on using up all my time by this month since I can't carry it over. So I kinda got screwed over for the holidays too. I also only had a weeks worth of PTO, so I was "budgeting" it for a 1 or 2 days of being sick myself or on account of the kids, and the rest for vacations. My wife actually gets PTO and seperate Sick days, That's what I'd like to see.

Andy,

Sorry you got screwed.

The reason many companies lump PTO and sick days together is because so many employees ABUSE sick days. Many employees feel that if they get, oh, say 10 days vacation and up to 6 days sick per year (1/2 day per month) then that means they actually get 16 paid days off. Those folks tend top take all of their sick days, even if not sick. They count sick days like they are vacation days and use them accordingly.

Recognizing that many employees abused paid sick leave in this way, many employers went to a "bucket" of PTO that included both vacation and sick days. Some even tossed in "floating holidays" in recognition of a diverse workforce (not everyone wants the American/Christian holidays off).

In the change process, many employers actually cut the time off they allowed their employees. Those that would have given 10 vacation and up to 6 sick days went to 14 PTO days per year, for example. You know what...I don't blame them. The rotten apples spoiled the bunch.

I've never taken a sick day unless sick. I've probably only taken 3 of those in 24 years of employment.

TJR

I'm in a similar boat. My first job, I went the full 9.5 years without ever calling in sick. Since I've switched jobs 2 years ago, I've had to miss two half days due to my kids being sick, not me. It does suck when other people out there screw it up for the rest of us.

Latest posts