Joined The Dark Side

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
I have joined the dark side. I put money down on a Jeep. Will buy it for sure after my mechanic checks it out. next week. It's for my 16 year old daughter who has wanted a Jeep like, forever, Dad. She does not know I did this today, although we stopped and looked at it last week. '97 Wrangler, 4-banger automatic, 142,000 miles but seems to have been well-cared for. Runs and drives great, interior is clean as a whistle. I'd prefer something newer but it's what I can afford without taking a loan. Since there isn't much TO the damn things, why do they cost so much? :huh:

JohnnyO,

Thats a very nice surprise for your daughter. She's going to be so happy.

My parents wouldn't buy us a car when we were 16. I was just lucky to have my G1 test paid for on my birthday! When I was about 18 they bought a used, $5000 Honda Civic for all three of us kids to drive around where we needed to go. It wasn't the same thing as having a car bought FOR you, and certainly didn't come with that rebellious sense of freedom of OWNING a car.

I wanted a car so bad throughout University so that I could drive the 1.5hrs between Hamilton and London on the weekend instead of taking the 3hr Greyhound, but the "kid car" stayed in London for my brother and sister until it was stolen out of the driveway from sis forgetting to lock the door.

Had to wait till I could afford one and that wasn't until I was in the workforce and saved up enough. My first car was a 2.3L 1991 Ford Ranger with a manual transmission. That truck was lots of fun, but was practically falling apart beneath me the whole year I owned it. I got a raise at work and sprung for the Truck I've been eye-humping and wanting since it first came out - the SPORT TRAC!!

We never know where our vehicle "lineage" is going to take us, but hopefully you've started your daughter off in a great direction!

Congrats on the new vehicle! - Don't forget, since Daddy bought it, he should also be allowed to take it for some "test drives" throughout its life. Put that 4x4 capability to the test ;)

I had a 98 Wrangler straight 6 automatic. I loved that truck, but when wwe found out my wife was pregnant, it was over. Wranglers just arent that practical when babies are involved,but at the same time, it lead me to my ST. So far its been worth it and I wouldnt trade my son for anything in the world!

buying her a good used vehicle with not a lot of $$ invested in her 1st car is wise as she will probably beat it up in some way. When i bought my daughter her 1st car, a very used prelude 5 sp w/ 110K on it, I figured she would learn to drive a mtx, (good thing) and if she beat it up, well, I'm not out a lot of $$, she never put a dent it for 4 yrs, the abs crapped out on it soon after I bought it but that was it, trouble free otherwise. Bought the wife a new car, gave the daughter the wife's old car, (94 accord in almost showroom condition), in 2 weeks she had tried to take out the protective pipes at gas pumps 2x, and hit something else with it as well, all minor but.. point is, she needs to learn on something other than a NEW car. If it lasts 1-2 yrs and she gets it out of her system, you're ahead of the game. She'll be old enough then to buy her own and take more pride in the auto.

JMO, would never buy a 16 year old a short wheelbase, High center of gravity vehicle.

tell her to be carefull on the freeways.

Nik,

I have always like the Wrangler, but like you stated, not the most practical ride. I have been pondering the new four door model more though. I test drove it and liked it. At that time my younger daughter was in a gigantic car seat, and the space just wasn't right. NOWWWW that she's in a booster seat, I am more interested. My suggestion to everyone, when buying a new car, is the following. I am about to head up to Orlando for a couple days to get away. The perfect time for a real road test, so I have a reservation for rental when I get home. I always rent a car before I buy it. You can really get a feel for a vehicle. Pretty much anything out there is able to be rented. Rentals are usually driven hard, so it will really show the wear and tear that a normal person might do over a few years. The rental is gonna cost me about 500 bucks for 5 days, but still not bad considering a new one is pushing 30k and you will be stuck if you don't like it.. I like the four door.. The ST bed is my only hangup right now.. If I find the right trailer, I probably would take the leap.. Maybe just keep the ST too.. Who knows..

Not too keen on the 4door wranglers. I saw one the other day though with the doors off the front and back, would take some getting used to.

Yeah, I worried about the high CG too, but I figure it won't be too long before I put some wider wheels on (but no lift). For the most part she is just going to putt around town and to school and if she takes it to her mother's house in Vermont for the summer either me or my son will go along and fly back.

From what I can find, you can fit up to 32's on these without a lift. I think that 15x8 Pro Comp 1069's and 31's or 32's would be the shiznit for a girly street Jeep. But I'd like to get it painted first.

My kids have had it kinda rough since me and their mom split up, she essentially stole them and lived with a succession of abusive boyfriends, so besides living a relatively normal, if boring, life with me and wife #2 for the last year and a half, I don't mind hooking them up when I'm able.

Your better get the gym, get a gun or something - boys are sure to follow a 'chick in a Jeep'!

Proud owner of a '94 Jeep Wrangler & a '03 Power Wheels Jeep (the boys need to get in on the fun too).

As some have said, not practicle but who cares - they're fun!

Enjoy!

And they tend to rollover at highway speeds.Bigger tires will just make the issue worse.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my. In my opinion this is a huge mistake.

I grew up in Toledo, Ohio where these are made at the plant there and have friends that work there on the line. While they build them and some own the vehicles they make, they always tell me they get rid of their new Jeeps two years after they get them due to issues with construction quality. So, they trade them in every two years. Suggest you consider the quality of any Chrysler vehicle plus the issue they may be out of business soon.

The other side of this has been mentioned. These tend to roll over quickly. An ex of mine had one and he was just starting out from a stop light when a drunk driver hit them from the rear side. The Jeep flipped like a tiddly wink and the rear seat passenger was instantly killed because there is no protection back there. They flip easy I repeat and teenagers tend to speed and not have the skill to handle these vehicles properly.

Just passing on my experience. I would never ever own a Jeep knowing what I know and have seen.

Good luck.

I put mickey thompson wheels and 33x12.50x15 BFG all terrains on my 98 and it rode great. I didnt have it lifted, that was my pre-sale plan. It was all stock with full hard doors and a factory soft top I bought, it orginally had a hard top. I took it 4wheeling occasionally and never felt unsafe on or off road.

I wish I would have kept my Jeep, as for the roll overs, hey at least Uhaul will still rent to them.

I have had mine at extreme angle and never rolled her, mind you as with any short wheelbase they are not meant for quick manuvers at high speed. If I wanted to I am sure I could flip my sport trac easily as well as the wifes BMW.

The 4 cylinders take a little work to keep them going strong as they work hard to move that vehicle, the 4.OL will go forever.

Have fun with it.

Latest posts