Joblast for ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ

Reaction score
Just musing ... so if someone were to, say, sell an ST now (1stGen or 2ndGen), could they command a higher residual value since they're no longer in production and no planned replacement in the product pipeline?

Not really because their discontinued but more so because the ST (1st or 2nd Gen) hold their resale value greater then most trucks on the market. that being sale if you were to sale it as a private seller you could tell potential buyers that.

I personally don't think these vehicles hold their value at all. They were never really popular and they aren't really anything special. I would say that a 1st gen would be more valuable than a 2nd gen simply due to the suspension setup...can't do nothing on a 2nd gen that makes it worth while.

As far as value goes because they do't make them anymore...they don't make Pintos anymore either.

They were never really popular and they aren't really anything special.

They made over 70,000 of them per year without one penny spent on advertising. They were the number one vehicle in its segment outselling the S-10, Tacoma, Frontier, and Dakota quad cabs.

I personally don't think these vehicles hold their value at all.

This is very subjective.

2002 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4 108,000 miles. Retail used price is $10,310. (leather, moonroof, etc)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4 door 4x4 108,000 miles. Retail used price $12,075.

2002 Chevy S-10 4 door 4x4 108,000 miles. Retail used $9,355.00.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4 door 4x4 108,000 miles. Retail Used $9,495.00.

2002 Nissan Frontier 4 door (if you can call it a 4 door) 108,000 miles. Retail used $10,840.00.

I can look up MSRP's of the vehicles when new to get a percentage of value. With the number sold in 2002, this is pretty good resale value. 2nd place to a company that polishes a TuRD and can sell them.

I would say the ST holds its value pretty good. My Trac has done everything I ever wanted it to do. Hauled my family around. Towed heavy trailers. Loaded the bed with 2500 LBS of dirt and never gave me an ounce of trouble...that wasn't caused by me.

I have nothing to complain about. With only 110,000 miles on mine, I still got another 90,000 to go before I replace it.

Tom

Maybe worth slightly more since they aren't making them any more, but very few late-model vehicles will be collectible, ever, because they simply make too many of them. The only ones worth a premium 10 years down the road will be vehicles with extremely low mileage, like an average of 5000 miles or less a year.

Well, of course they don't hold their resale value like a Honda or a Toyota. However, some of the Trac's have big 'ol V8s in them that cannot be found in the other vehicles.

Bring it on...seriously though. Don't get me wrong, personally I think the ST is a decent vehicle otherwise I would have never bought one. With that said I believe that the ST does alot of things good but doesn't do any one thing great and therefore it just kind of blends in with all the other vehicles on the road. I like the styling of the 2nd gen alot better than the 1st gen but the 1st gen is alot more mod friendly if you want to personalize it.

I would love to see yearly sales figures against the other vehicles that Caymen listed becasue I find it very hard to believe taht the ST outsold any of these vehicles..not saying it didn't happen but I just find it hard to believe, maybe it's a back east thing.

They were never really popular and they aren't really anything special

Feel the cold wrath of the Gomco clamp!

c274e81a8c084fbc868475c44bd5c54e.jpg

WOW, that is an uber-chromed clamp!

:grin:

:grin::grin:

:grin::grin::grin:

PS. Speaking of low miles ... my dad bought a 1978 Ford Thunderbird, has 53K on it ... he's been offered upwards of $12K for it by car restorers (he bought it from Oregon for < $7K). Betraying the law of depreciation!

I think I'll keep my ST to 5,000 miles/year. GREAT IDEA! :supercool:

With that said I believe that the ST does alot of things good but doesn't do any one thing great and therefore it just kind of blends in with all the other vehicles on the road.

This is what versitility is all about. It does many things god, but nothing well.

It doesn't tow much like an F-350, but is is easier to park. It does not park as well as a Ford Focus, but it has more room. It does not have the room of an Excursion, but it has a truck bed. It does not haul as much in the bed as an F-150, but it fits in more garages.

There is no such thing as one tool does it all. There can be tools that does many things good, but not great.

To me, this makes the ST the best out there.

Tom

I went through an extenxive search for a Sport Trac for my son's first vehicle. Based on my search, I think the Tracs are holding their resale value very well -- too well in my opinion, to the point of being overpriced. Therefore, I went for a deal on a new 2010 XLT with the 101A package. No miles and full warranty were worth the small difference in price for any 2007 or newer.

Over time, the cost to own the Sport Trac over the Honda, Toyota and Nissan models will be less because of lower maintenance costs and problems like the timing belt routine replacment that plagues Japanese-model engines. I have never had to replace a timing chain/belt in any Ford I have ever owned. It is big-buck routine maintenance on the foreign nameplates.

Like any vehicle it depends on the specific make, model, options and even the color. But just like in realestate, one of the biggest influence on the resale value of trucks is Location, Location, Location.

Trucks in Texas are very popular and seem to hold a higher resale value than a typical car. Oddly enough, Chevy has been out-selling Fords and Dodges in Texas for a number of years, but I don't know if that is holding true since GM took the bailout? In either case, you can't tell who is selling more trucks in Texas by the number of trucks you see on the road...Just too many to count, and they appear to be a pretty even mix of brands and hard to tell specific model years.

I got a higher trade-in value ($1000 over blue book) than I expected for my 2003 Sport Trac in January 2008, but I also got $500 more for my wifes 2003 Saturn Ion-3. Of course I had both vehicles completely detailed and were flawless.

The Sport Trac was sold to a Used-car dealer in town, and the Saturn was sold in less than 24 hours directly off my Mercedes dealer's lot

About 2 months after I traded in my Sport Trac, Used SUV and truck values dropped like a rock due to the higher gas prices, and I would have gotten about $3000 less had I waited to trade. My timing was perfect, but it was not a prediction, just some good dumb luck.:grin:

...Rich

The Tacoma and Frontier both use timing chains..the Ridgeline still uses a t-belt but IMO the Ridgeline doesn't belong in the same category as these vehicles due to it's lack of a full frame. If you think changing a t-belt on one of the import vehicles is expensive just wait until you have to replace a timing chain on one of these vehicles...and yes it has to be done more than you think...I have a $500 master Ford timing setup to prove it