Jerry Falwell dies at age 73

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
I know nothing of him, except what the press has said about him, but I have met some graduates of his school.

I shared a room with two graduates of Liberty University (his school) in my technical training when I first joined the Air Force 19 years ago. They both had five week tech schools, and mine was 15 weeks. They were both nice guys, but a little quirky. Both had a problem with me drinking beer and then coming back to the room (I was 25 when I joined and allowed to drink after the first four weeks). They both told me that drunkeness is a sin. One morning Caleb told me this and I told him I sinned enough for both of us then, and he should pray for me (and him).

The first guy was really nice, and a good friend, even if he had some very conservative (naive) views on things.

The second guy, Caleb, joined the Air Force the same day as his wife. They were both graduates from Liberty with Master degrees in Religious studies, and both were ministers. He had a five week tech school -- the third week, his wife called to tell him she found someone else in her training and that she was divorcing him. He took it extremely hard, and I really expected to find him dead in our room some day, but apparently drinking two 2-liter bottles of soda and eating everything that both of us had in the room in one afternoon won't kill a 6'5" man. The guy ate my whole weeks worth of groceries that afternoon! He paid me back, but I was amazed at what he ate that day. He finished the school, but I gave him a wide berth for those last two weeks.

OK, I know that my experience is somewhat limited, and very likely to be the exception rather than the rule, but this reminds me of times that I've attended Catholic mass and the Father got absolutely hammered (slurring words and almost falling over) by drinking the wine. No joke. I wish I was kidding.

Kruncher, the first time I walked into a Catholic church, there was an empty keg laying in the hallway. I turned to my then-fiancee/future ex-wife and said, "This is my kind of church". I was raised Baptist, and they didn't believe in drinking, even though a good portion was hungover every Sunday morning.

I hardly drink now, but I still like the Catholic church. I haven't seen a drunk priest in 20 years, but I have heard they exist.

Being a "PK" myself, I know of Jerry Falwell. (my dad actually took some classes there at the university when he became a Methodist Preacher) Most of the people that go to his "University" are drop dead religious. It's kind-of maditory.:D Anyway, it is a good college for the religious people. They don't have to feel like the 5th wheel, like they would at normal universities. Not a bad way for Jerry to make money after everything when his nutty wife devorced him.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the drinking issue. No where in the bible does it say it is sin. The bible doesnt condemn drinking. The only thing in scripture is that God asks for us to not be a drunken fool.

I dont drink anymore. Not because of my Christian faith, but because I once was one of those fools. I dont miss the back seat of police cars:lol:. I still hang with folks that do drink. No condemnation from me.;)

As far as Falwell, I always felt he was too conservative and chasing devils..

God Bless Jerry. He was a man of devotion and of moral fiber. While not everyone can share in what he beleived (he was a tad on the fundamentalist side), we should at least follow his example of practicing what we preach. There wasn't a double standard in his life. His devotion to God was real. He truely was a man that brought a lot of pride and greatness to a lot of people.

On the drinking thing..... my church is absolutely against drinking..... I'm not. I grew up Catholic. I was given wine by the church at 7 years old. My wife grew up in Church of Christ/Pentecostal settings. She's not against alcolhol.

Biblically, drunkiness is a sin. Drinking in and of itself is not defined as sin or not. It's up to each individual heart but a lot of people want to condemn somebody else for having a beer.

I actually had a "preacher" on MySpace tell me that "as a born-again christian I should know that drinking should not be tolerated" after I posted an article about my 10 year High School reunion. I had to remind him that Paul told Timothy to have a drink on occassion for his stomach. The bible constantly tells of "filling your skins with new wine". The first miricle in the bible was Jesus himself turning water to wine - after all the other wine had been drank. Then at the Last Supper.... what was served? Wine.

If it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me....

Politically I'm about as far-right as you can get, but frankly I never paid any attention to him or ever watched him on TV. I like to have too much fun to hang with the really religious types.

Still, everybody's gotta go sometime.

I noticed that the Liberals are throwing a party, but I doubt that we'll be dancing in the streets when Ted Kennedy passes away.

JohnnyO, how's that old Billy Joel song go? " I'd rather laugh with the sinners, then cry with the saints?" I'm with you bud

ROFLMFAO @ TJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO...loud mouth fundamentalist BIGGOT...Gay bashing redneck windbag with too much money to give to political parties who back his religious agenda ...can I get an AMEN to that?...I doubt it.

Yea hearing that he was such a biggot makes me sick. Hearing people trying to say he was such a great american for his beliefs. Funny considering that he did say that 9/11 was God's way of hurting us for allowing gay rights and such. He was an ass. Now if all the other biggots like him in the world world go away.

Bigot only has one g.

George Soros has too much money to give to a political party that backs his agenda.

The Leftys have him, Michael Moore, and few others. There are idiots on both sides.