Japanese Automakers sweep CR Top 10

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted deleted

Reaction score
U.S. Automakers were dealt another blow when Consumer Reports released their top 10 list. Japanese automakers swept the entire list.

C'mon Ford, GM and Daimler/Chrysler, get your acts together!

CR seems to favor the imports most of the time.

-Edit- Although I do think the Big 3 need to step it up a bit in the quality department before they find themselves without a customer following.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... read the same thing this morning, Darin. It would seem that America's "Shrinking Three" would combine forces and unite to retake the auto industry, but they are so busy trying to keep each other down that it may be too late. Just my observation, though. I know we have to have something going good in that top ten list, but as Larry pines in, they seem to favor the Asian imports a lot. Does GFDC sound like a car company? GeneralFordDaimlerChrysler :rolleyes::):eek::lol::wub:

For the record, Daimler/Chrysler is based in Germany. Because the Japanese companies have their corporate HQ's in Japan, they are considered foreign companies.

Following that same line of reasoning, isn't DC a foreign automaker?:huh:

The weird part is that MANY of our American cars are foreign. But that does not seem to fit into the equation. This trend has been going on for as long as I can remember. No real shock to me.

I know I'm in the market for a new SUV to replace my wife's 97 Expedition and of the 4 possibilities I've narrowed it down to, none are from the "Big 3". Mainly because of reliability and crappy gas mileage.

I heard the same report on the news last night.

Consumer Reports felt that Japanese vehicles offered more value because they had simpler engineering which led to higher reliability and the Japanese directed their attention in perfecting those things that consumers perceive as important. That may only be a perception, but it's probably true, at least in part.

...Rich

I agree with Rich, I think most part of it is perception, there's people out there that, with the proper marketing, would buy a $h*t turd with a silk bow.

I also think that the "big" 3 could definitely improve.

I used to be pretty neutral on the Consumer Reports bias issue. Honda and Toyota build a lot of very good vehicles and deserve accolades for the quality.

But a couple of years ago, CR did a "large" (8 passenger) SUV comparison, and chose the Honda Pilot. They judged it superior in "towing performance" to the other entries. Towing performance, in the review's methodology, was towing the vehicle's maximum, which was 3,500 pounds for the Pilot and at 5,000 and in some cases well over 7,000 lbs for many of the other vehicles in the test.

I'm sorry, but saying one vehicle is better than another at towing because it tows 3,500 pounds better than the other tows 7,000 pounds is absolutely transparent and out of touch with a critical reason why people buy full size SUVs: Towing heavy loads. I questioned whether the Pilot should have even been in the test, since it was substantially smaller than the other vehicles, and really out of it's size class.

I wrote CR off after that.

The current top 10 bothers in another context. They went out of their way to mention Honda and Toyota models as "also rans" in a couple of categories, when the truth is, there are many fine vehicles in each category that are worthy of such mention.

I am not a "buy American" thinker. I have owned quite a few Hondas, and liked each one. But the CR stuff is a bit biased. I think Honda and Toyota must have explicit pictures of the CR editorial staff in compromising poses. I have no other explanation.

Are american cars realy that bad?? I dont think so. Are asian cars realy that good?? not sure havent owned one in quite some time. Many people have had high milege with low issues domestic vehichles as well as asian. I think it has more to do with adversitiseing and media that has biased much of us into thinking that. The unified front brings up a point. When was the last time you saw a toyota ad slam honda or nissans, or any other way??? but I regularly see tundra junk talking f150's and im sure there are other examples. Also the big three spend alot of their effort slaming each other, definately more that the asian equliviants. The asian cars may have a slight quality edge in some areas but there also souless vehichles and americans like to show as well as go. As far as simpler, have you ever tried to work on an import ,,, its a freaking nightmare.

All I know is that my current plans included trading the ranger and getting an F150. HOWEVER, I will most likely not buy another Ford until they can up the warranty (and quality) to match what these other companies have to offer. I really like Ford, but it's no longer practical for me. It is ridiculous that Ford cannot even trust their own craftsmanship enough to warranty it for the life of a typical financing term (5 years). I'm not even asking for 7 or 10 years....just 5. Long enough to pay it off and be able to afford a major fix.

I'm with you on that one Jenn D. For the prices we are paying for a new vehicle these days, they should all have at least a 5 year warranty.

It is ridiculous that Ford cannot even trust their own craftsmanship enough to warranty it for the life of a typical financing term (5 years).

How long is Honda and Toyota's warranty? How about a Kia or Hyundai. For kicks and giggles, stop by a dealer other then a Hyundai or Kia and ask them what they think of Kia or Hyundai trade ins.

The dealer Theresa works at, which happens to be a Ford dealer, will only put one of those cars on the lot if it is year or two old and low miles. Anyhing over 3 years old gets sent right to the auction. They wouldn't think twice about not putting a 10 year old anything on the lot. It doesn't matter the mileage either. 200,000 miles on a Toyota, no problem. 200,000 miles on a Ford, bring it on. 70,000 on a Kia or Hyundai, it sits in trade-in row and is hauled to the auction.

Tom

The Toyota dealerships in Orlando offer 7yr/100,000mi warranties. I would never buy a Honda or Hyundai (erg, the thought sends shivers down my back), so I really don't know about their warranties. Regardless, I just have issue with the fact that some companies will warranty for numerous years, yet a company that at its peak was known for quality, will not. Maybe that's what Ford needs. Gain back some trust. Right now, I get a funny feeling that Ford is not really a "trusted" names, as it once was.

The dealer must be offering the warranty on their own. The standard Toyota warranty is 3/36, just like Ford offers.

Tom

Caymen,

Bumper to bumper is 3/36, but engine and drivetrain on a Toyota is 5/60. Ford doesn't offer that on the ST or F150, I think.

The Ridgeline is the best thing ever, It's warranty is 20 years/2,000,000,000,000 miles. SEE, SEE, CR PICKED IT #1 PICKUP.:D

Latest posts