Jacking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
I was reading Family Handyman an article about jacking vehicles. They wrote that with 4 wheel drive vehicles, to lift under the differentials. This seems dicey to me. Any thoughts?

Depends on what you're going to be working on, on the vehicle. You can lift by the diff. but make sure you block the front tires. What were you planning to work on the vehicle? It also depends on how high you are lifting the vehicle and if you're on a flat, level ground or not as well. Always use jack stands if you plan on jacking up and working under it.

I was thinking in terms of working on the vehicle (oil change, fluid change, etc). It just doesn't seem like a good idea because if the vehicle isn't perfectly balanced, it could easily tip one way or the other. :eek: I do use jackstands.

You can lift by the diff. but make sure you block the front tires.

The differential is not designed to hold the weight of the vehicle on the tubes going into the pumpkin.

Will it work? Sure. Can it cause problems? You betcha! Is it worth it? Compared to the cost to replace the rear end, not in my book.

Tom

The main problem when using a floorjack on the pumpkin is catching the cover with the edge of the jack, just be carefull, will be no issue.

Always use jackstands and wheel blocks.

How about using ramps instead? I would never try to put the entire weight of the front or rear on the pumpkin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Though it does not happen often, the punkin can break and create both serious damage as well as the great potential of injury...