Jack Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Smith 8

Reaction score
I have had my 03 Trac and been a member here for a little over a year. I think this is the best site for info on Tracs and I come by almost every day. I have been helped by other members and have been a help to others. I absolutely love my truck. I now have a weird problem.

I went to use my jack for the first time as the weather finally got nice enough on a weekend that I could work on installing the items I got with my $ from Santa. Namely Monroe Sensa-trac shocks, Husky mud flaps, and Kleen Wheels for the front. I think my jack is shot as it wont lift the Trac far enough to get the tire off the ground, much less to get a jack stand under it. I tried to put it in different places with no luck. It seems to go as high as it can then the wheel just turns and kinda clicks with no additional lift. The bottom of the jack is bulged out a little and it does not sit flat. I think a former owner must have used it and abused it. I guess I need to break down and get a floor jack, but that wont help me if I need a jack on the road.

Anybody got any ideas or have a stow-able jack they want to part with? :cry:

Do you recommend a scissor over the bottle style? And if so, any ideas on how to stow it in the same place as the bottle lives behind the seat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 4 ton hydralic bottle jack @ harbor frieght, $12. It will adjust High enough and store behind the seat. On the front put it under the lower control arm. Not on the perch for the factory jack. On the rear, under the spring plate.

I'm really okay with my oem jack for emergency use and have used mine in the driveway several times. I would just get another oem jack from a wrecking yard or Craigslist, to simplify storage. But, if you don't trust them, then get something else. I like a scissor jack because they're compact, can have a good lift height, don't leak, and reliable (no seals to fail during use). I would put it in the same compartment as the factory jack in a canvas bag, check Harbor Freight or your local military-type surplus store. You'll still need to keep the factory jack tools to lower the spare tire,

I bought a bottle jack from Walmart. It fits behind the rear seat. If you are going to work on the Track, get jack stands (4) cheep insurance!

Ed

But buy good jackstands.not the cheap crap as on the left.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator: