It was bound to happen.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James FreemanJr

Reaction score
Driving to work yesterday (about 1 mile from work) during rush hour and everything is stop and go. finally there is a break in the stop and its all go so I go. Then I see everyone breaking again about 1mile later so from my 50mph (posted speed limit) I start to slow down (probably going 20-15mph getting ready to stop still about 20 feet from the truck in front of me) and next thing I know I see this Red Dodge Durango that doesn't look like he is going to stop in my rear view mirror so I brace myself and he nails me going probably 45-50mph and the hit is so hard it made my hat fly off and my head unit pop out of my dash lol. I have my foot on the brakes and both hands on the wheel so I don't nail the guy in front of me but to no luck I still hit him but not hard at all (he has a little dent in his bumper and he broke my lic. plate holder) Worse part of it was the truck in front of me was a DNR officer! he got out of his truck and I looked at him and was like "Shit...that dude has a gun!" it was in his holster but you never know lol. The dodge had to be towed away and the guy couldn't get out of the drivers side cause his door wouldn't open. The rear of my truck held up pretty damn well! I was afraid to look cause this is my first accident EVER! and I was afraid what my baby looked like cause the impact was pretty brutal but I was able to drive away. The accident was scary and all but the scariest part was it happened in the middle of a bridge and I could see over it thats how close I came to the barrier......I HATE BRIDGES!

I'll post pictures later, I have to go get a rental car now :(

Ouch- thats a horrible feeling- I had it happen to me a few years back- you just know he can't stop in time, but there is nothing you can do..... at least you are OK.

That is tough. Glad to hear you are OK. No airbag deployment then?

The thing I hate most about driving is depending on the skills of everybody else.

I was stuck driving a Kia for nearly 3 weeks after my last accident.

I hope your ST comes back the way you remember it.

Why would the airbags deploy? It was a rear end collision.

Does suck when you know that ou are going to get wrecked?

Steel and plastic cn be fixed, your body is a bit tougher. Glad you are OK.

Glad you are ok but do get checked out. Years ago my sisters '88 olds 98(big car)got hit in the rear. The pickup behind her hit her so hard it crumpled the trunk and put her rear bumper on the pavement.

She was ok at first then she started having back, neck and miagraine headaches.

Ouch:( But the main thing is that you are allright. The ST can be fixed, and it wont be that hard since it was the rear.

Make sure to see if the cab/body or the frame was damaged, so they can fix it

I used to cross a bridge w/ no worries, that is until last year when the 35W bridge collapsed here. A lot of people around here don't like when they have to stop on a bridge now.

During our hurricane exodus for Rita a couple of years ago, after Katrina scared everybody, there were a lot of people stuck on bridges for hours, including one lady that worked for our project management team. She called me and asked if the bridge was supposed to shake like that with every truck that passed on the other side. I told her it was normal, and they can be quite flexible at times. Still scary, though!:eek:

Thanks guys. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I got my rental car today a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT. It's pretty nice. Asked if they had any new Sport Tracs but no luck :(

I'm just afraid the ins. company might total it even tho it's drivable cause it has 120,000+ miles (me and the dodge that hit me both have Geico). Airbags didn't go off in the Dodge even tho his whole front was pretty crumbled.

James.....sorry about your ST. Hope things turn out ok with it and they don't have to total it.

Guy's, it just me or does it seem more members are getting into wrecks with their ST's these days?

When I drive the Fwy's, I usually hang to the fast lane and if for some reason everyone is coming to a fast stop, I'll pull over to the shoulder just to keep the guy behind me from slamming into me. I know there are areas where this isn't possible, but I always like to have an "out" just incase.

James.....I have Geico as well.....good ins...have had them now for over 20 years.

Ya desertfox I usually do that to but the way out was on the other side of the bridge which was....well...water and a 100ft drop ha. Yea Geico hasn't failed me yet and I hope they don't on this matter.

Yeah....it's tough to go anywhere when your stuck on a bridge and some areas on the fwy don't have a shoulder, just a 4ft concrete wall.

I've had a few claims with Geico over the years without any probs. Their service is AAA in my book which is why I stay with them as well as the low rates. Hopefully things will go well with you in this case as well. The good thing with this is you didn't get hurt and is most important and good luck at the doc's tomorrow.

Latest posts