It finally broke!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan Bevan

Reaction score
I have an 01 ST with 145k miles. I purchased it new and have only had to replace the normal stuff tires/brakes/belts/battery/shocks. Well... I was on I-4 in Orlando a couple weeks ago doing bout 60 and the engine started to sputter like it wasn't getting any fuel. I fortunately was able to nurse it along by pumping the gas pedal so it wouldn't stall until I was somewhere safe. I shut it down and let it cool off a while... cranked right up and was fine? The next day I took it in for an oil change and replace the fuel filter.. it had a while for the filter. They called me in to see it because it had black sludge coming out of it.. my bad! It ran like a top for weeks after that until a few days ago where it took a few tries to get it started.. I was hoping it was because I didn't have much gas left and was on a incline.. denial continues. It's been bitter cold in Florida and this morning she would not start at all. I'm thinking the fuel pump has finally said goodbye due to age, low fuel and not changing the filter as often as needed? Can't complain... this truck has been amazingly reliable. So what's next after the fuel pump? Water Pump? Alternator? I hope all the bananas don't get rotten at the same time.

I still haven't had a problem with my Sport Trac yet. It only has just under 40,000 miles though. I did just replace the battery tonight. The cold was murder on my 5 1/2 year old battery.:smile0004:

Hope u got a good one like I did... I think the truck fairy sprinkled something on mine when it was came down the assembly line. I hope to keep it another 60K and then buy a new (2 yrs old) one! :smile0006:

145K on the original fuel pump. I wouldnt complain. The black sludge dont sound good. Unless you missed a few oil changes. Or are you saying black sludge from the fuel? If that is what you meant. sounds as if the station you use, may be getting rid if some waste. That has happened here in Houston a few times. Dumping junk oil and chemicals in their tanks. Some folks didnt get around the block one time. The whole fuel system and injectors had to be replaced.

At 145K you can figure a the other things on your list as general maintenance. Sounds like your happy with the service the trac has given you...

The truck fairy must have been on break when mine rolled down the assembly line..

At 130K...all of the squeakable parts under the front end had to be replaced..

then came the clock-spring...(I have the new clock-spring sitting here on the desk..been there for months..havent slowed down enough to install it yet..I was hoping Todd's would go out and he would do a project on it..*lol*..and make it a bit easier on me..)

This was followed by the windshield...then last week came the radiator...now the clutch fan is making a little squealing sound for a few minutes when it is first cranked..the fan itself works fine..just makes that noise..

Last night I had to replace the license plate lights..I wouldnt wish that job on my worst enemy..next time I'm gonna duct tape a flashlight to the bumper and walk back there and cut it on and off each night..

I wouldnt take anything in this world for the Trac tho..

..but Nazareth hit the nail on the head...Love Hurts!

my 03 with 72,000. miles on mine. i`ve had to replace the rotors, pads, capliers, lines, new bearnings, and rotors. that was just the brakes. new fan cluch, new gaskets and bolts in intake manafold. new ac blower resisotr and switch. the salt has been bad down here jacksonville,fl. and this has been all in the last two years. things still needs replaced. side mirror switch, front pass window motor going, and the mutifuction switch. hopefully that`s all. can`t afford anything else. :banana::smile0013:

Last night I had to replace the license plate lights..I wouldnt wish that job on my worst enemy..next time I'm gonna duct tape a flashlight to the bumper and walk back there and cut it on and off each night..

I hear that--I saw the notch that perfectly fit the screwdriver blade on the outside of the light assembly, right next to the plate, and popped it off....breaking it, and then I needed to glue it back.

Then I realized that you were supposed to take the bulbs out from behind and under the bumper :(

My green light caps were almost not worth it :smile0015:

So far--and this is as far as I intend to go--I'm down one serpentine belt, 2 ball joints, brakes, windshield, and standard fluid changes. Oh, and a battery.

Green light caps...I bet that looks wicked on your truck..

I went back out there yesterday and took a pair of needle-nose pliers...quarter turn to the left and it pops right out..quarter turn to the right and it slips back in..

I'm still considering taking the double-cuts and making those holes a bit bigger..

I came out from under that truck feeling like one of those NASA gurus that works on the space shuttle..

Whats bitter cold in FL? 55 degrees?

:smile0015:

I work outdoors, the other day it was 16 degrees. I dont think 40 or 50 degrees is cold enough to have a negative effect on a car.

At 213k miles I've replaced the fuel pump, the front rotors, the battery a couple of times, and basically nothing else except for normal maintenance items. And I have a bad habit of running the tank down to almost nothing. I put 21.6 gallons in the tank this morning.

Latest posts