issue at start up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
Have a weird thing at start-up with the trac that I cant quite diagnoss. When you crank it and it catches on that first crank as always, it sounds like the starter keeps cranking for another split second and the RPMs flare a few hundred. I dont really know what it could be but thought of the ignition switch kind of sticking to keep that starter going for a hair too long but just dont know. Any ideas? Thanks

-Sefus

Does it do this when it is warm ???

IF not, more then likely the drain valve in the oil filter is bad and your hearing the lifters/followers clatter before the oil gets there....\

IF not, Try helping the ignition switch turn back faster with your hand to see if the return spring my be going bad in the column...

If not the Bendix drive in the starter can be weak and staying stuck to the flywheel a little bit causing the noise..

As far as the RPMS, my 03 Jumps to 1,500 rpm when i start it, but my 04 only about 1,000

Todd Z

does it when cold, need to do an oil change pretty soon so I'll give that a try first. My original thought was the starter sticking to the fly but now that you mention it, the lifters seem like the likely problem. Thanks Todd!

-Sefus

Welcome..

Let us know what it is

Todd Z

Latest posts