Is this Price to high? $536 for shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I was going to get shocks put on this afternoon but the price they told me on the phone was crazy. Sears was wanting $536 installed for Monroe Sensa Tracs and it was gonna take them 3 days to get the ones I needed in. Just checked their websiteand it said that they were having free installation so why so high? I told the guy on the phone that price was crazy and hung up. Gonna order them from rockauto.com and have my cousin install them. Gonna save about $400.

Way too high!

I think I paid 58.00 per shock for the Rancho RS 5000's. They had a sale buy 3 get the 4th free.

Shop shouldn't charge you no more than two hours to install them if your not up-to it yourself.

its not hard, just time consuming. I believe there is a project in the project section. Sears usually has free install or 1 dollar install promotions, check with them.

I paid around $215 for a set of Sensatracs at Sears (free installation). I think the Monroes have a buy 3 get one free right now.

wow $540 for shocks installed?! Thats crazy man. Install them yourself the rear is no problem the front is a bit tricky, but there is a project that someone wrote up that you could follow. I installed mine and payed $140 for front and rear shocks for the Monroe Sensa Tracks. SP?

Andrew, as Coastie stated, yes, that's way to much. Get the shocks during one of the deals going on (4 for the price of 3) and do it yourself. It's not hard to do. I did mine without even taking the tires off. (it's easier to do without the tires in the way);)

I definately concur that the price is most assuredly a rip-off. For that price you could fly me out & I'll do it for you. :D

Edit: Or, you could contact LaRue who also lives in SC, and he'll talk you through how to do the shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can do the shocks yourself. theyre not hard to install at all. all you need is a socket set and a set of open end wrenches. and you can get a good set of shocks for about $100 - $150. as for which kind to get... rancho is a good brand and all, but unless youre going to buy the 9 way adj. i would buy some pro comp es9000s. right now you can get buy 3 get one free until september 30. which comes out to 107.99 if you buy at 4wheel parts. those are the shocks im running right now and i like them way better then the rancho rsx's. hope this helps you out.

Andrew,

I was just at Sears Saturday! Had Sensatracs installed (4) for $211 plus I made them give the ends of the boxes so I can get $50 of that back with the Buy4 get one free rebate. It actually works out to be less then what I would have paid at the parts store which quoted me $38.99each and they installed them in 40 minutes. Get another quote or I can send you a copy of my reciept if you want to show them. Marsha

Gonna call around again to another sears today. If I dont like the price again, I am just gonna order them and put them on myself. Thanks for all the help.

Andrew

I replaced all my shocks last weekend and it took about 15 minutes to do the fronts and about 45 minutes to do the rear. I would say do it yourself and save some money but do yourself a favor and drop the spare before you start the job. I was being lazy and didn't but ended up needing to drop it to get to the top bolt on the driver side. Thats what took the most time, the rest is gravy. And I only spent about $100 on shocks but I buy the plain ol gas charged monroes.

Here's the link to the Ride & Handling section of the Projects where you'll find several projects on changing out shocks. I personally found it easier to raise up both front & rear, just make sure you leave nothing to chance so that the vehicle will not roll or fall on you. After you have raised the front all you have to do is turn the wheels to the right or left, and then follow instructions as per project section.

Pretty good info in that link and it pretty much lists what you need in the way of tools but I would like to add one thing. I would say that unless your truck is lowered, you shouldn't have to jack it up in most cases. I consider myself a little larger than many and had no problem changing my shocks with all 4 wheels on the ground. I also think that removing the wheels and splash shields to go in through the fender for the top bolts in front is more work than it needs to be. I used a couple of fairly long extensions and a socket on my impact to spin off the top nut from the engine compartment but it could be done with a regular ratchet as well. The downside to this method is that you may have to have a helper for a couple of minutes. I had the wife work the impact while I held the shock with a large channel lock from underneath to keep it from spinning. If you absolutely cant find someone to do that then you may have to do it the other way. And it is also possible that it will spin right off as I have had happen many times before on other cars.

I bought some Monroe Sensatracs tonight. I went to Pepboy's and they were 36.99/ 34.99 with a buy 3 get one free mail in rebate. UNFORTUNATELY, they didn't have them in stock and I'm pretty impulsive, so I went to NTB and had them price match Pepboys. I got them for $35/$34 + tax w/ a mail in rebate for $34 back, so it'll be about $110 once I get the rebate. Gonna install tomorrow, so I'll post my impressions after....

Latest posts