Is this Possible?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST, bought new in 2001. Nothing major except tranny issues@ 116,000 miles, and now I have over 277,000 miles total. This ST has surpassed anything I have ever had, bar none! Now my problem: I had a rough idle one morning and took it ot Auto Zone to have it scanned. Their small scanner idi not read a code but the AZ"Tech" thought it may have been related to my plugs. Fine, I get that part, but after the testing I could not get the truck started again. Well after a few tries to boost it, I decided to have a tow truck come get it from AZ store to my house. Once there I left it with my neighbor to look over for solutions and he took the key to a Ford dealer who tested the key and was told that the key is not working via the chip/module or something like that, therefore it will not crank for similar reasons. Has anyone ever heard of this happening between the key and the chip and this whole system. PLEASE ADVISE ME ASAP!

A rough idle is usually caused by a dirty IAC valve (Idle Air Control valve). If you were haveing a miss due to bad plugs or plug wires you should have gotten a miss-fire error code. Also, I never heard of the key chip going bad.

You said the truck would not start, but I need more information. If your truck cranks but will not start, it's not the key...It could still be the IAC or perhaps a bad coil pack and check that you are getting ignition voltage when the key is on and in the starter position. If it will not crank, I would look at a bad battery or loose/corroded connections at the battery or perhaps a bad ignition switch/starter switch.

When engines won't start, look at the simple things first since they are often the most overlooked items. The key chip going bad is very rare and probably one of the last things you should look at. To test it, just use your other key (you should have two) to try and start it. That is not to say that the chip reader inside the ignition might have a problem, but again that is very far down the list and it is probably something simpler or more common.

...Rich

I just love hearing these stories about auto parts stores trying to imitate skilled auto technicians. Just goes to show that a little knowlege is dangerous...

Rich, thank you for your input, it is always appreciated now and in the past. I did however consult with a service tech at several dealerships via the phone and they agreed somewhat about the key/chip/code scenario. However, until I can get the ST into a service center I won't really know for sure what is the actual problem. Having said that, I fear the worst for a diagnosis. It may be something simple as what you say, but I have no clue. It was working fine up until me trying to get a code for the rough idle, then it just kinda wouldn't crank up after that. A blown fuse in the lighter socket was replaced before he could try a scan, but alas, his AZ scanner was one of the smallest I have seen and it kept giving a "no link" error code so it may havwe not been the best scanner they had at Auto Zone so I regress about that scenario. A loose battery cable was the first start to this fiasco. I will keep in touch about this as time goes by.

To check the key....................

1) put the key in ignition, turn to ON, does the theft light blink and go off in 3-5 seconds???

2) does the theft light come on and stay on???

3) if the theft light goes off, will the truck try to crank/turn over???

4) Can you turn the key on and get NOTHING but dash lights??

Answers:

1) YES... key/programming good

2) YES... key/programming/ecu bad

3) No... something wrong on the truck, not the key

4) YES... bad programming(key) or ecu

Taking the KEY to the dealer??? for testing??? I have a transponder tester and the only thing it will tell you IS what chip it has. If for some reason the tester doesn't respond with the key, it could be bad, BUT the chances are slim to none. I do about 10 transponder keys a month (mostly Ford). And in 8 years, the only bad key I have found was when the chip was actually broken. There is no real way to tell you the key is bad without the truck. 99% of the time, I reprogram the "bad" key and drive home.

Just a locksmith point of view...

Last edited by a moderator: