is this normal for AC operation?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILL E

Reaction score
i bought the ST in the winter. It's starting to get warm here in Phoenix.

2008 V8 Limited.

It doesn't consistently blow cold. At idle it seems to do great. At most any throttle it seems to warm up a bit. When cruising it seems to go from cold to not as cold. This is true even on 'max' or if I have the temp set to 'auto' and the selection set at 60.

i can't hear the compressor click in or out so i can't be sure if the compressor is turning off. It's almost like at any acceleration it turns off. I might have expected this a full throttle but ...

So does this sound normal to you guys? When it is blowing cold it is pretty darn cold.

just had the Freon charged when they did my exaust manifold bolt warranty work so I am pretty sure it is charged up.

Will, does just the temperature/coldness go away or the blowing of the cold go away? The reason I even ask is on my new 2010 V-6 Adrenalin w/climate control, the blowing would go away under accelateration, the dealer put an ac pressure valve in mine last Fri. under warranty, we'll see on our Memeriol Day weekend trip if that did it.

MY wife will be traveling to your city next month for the Southern Baptist Convention, she's looking forward to it. Any ideas on places she's just gotta eat while there?

Thanks,

Les

Les, the coldness seems to go away, the fan speed remains the same (at which ever setting I have it at).

A really great new mexico style mexican food place is 'Los Dos Molinos'. They actually have a few locations. They are family run. Food is very spicy.

Jaydawg74... sorry that doesn't seem to be related to AC stuff.

Sounds like the compressor is going on/off. I would expect this isn't normal when in 'max'.

Like 5 seconds on and 5 seconds off.

Do yours do this? Any way to get a visual indication to confirm this while driving down the road?

Some vehicles are equiped with a switch that cuts out the AC compressor when accelerating. We had a Saturn Ion that functioned that way. This is common in some of the smaller 4 cylinder cars, but I am not aware that it is used on V6 or V8 vehicles???

...Rich

Will E

The cycle time of the compressor is controlled by the low side pressure switch, having the ac set on max has no affect on clutch cycle time, the only thing MAX ac does is set the system to recirc. If your ac clutch is cycling fast then chances are that you are low on freon.

If you don't want to go to a dealer my shop..well not mine but the one I work at...is in Chandler.

I will put a set of guages on it. Hopefully the access point is easy to get to.

My cycles even at idle. It 'feels' like it cycles off when I accelerate hard. I can't tell at speed if it is on/off (can't hear it either way)

I mentioned on 'max' because I figured that overrides the interior temp setting (I put it down to 60 degrees).

Anyone want to confirm if their compressor will stay on at idle for more than 10 seconds at a time (2008 V8)

If your compressor is only staying for 10 seconds at a time with the heat we are having here then you more than likely have low refrigerant charge...Ford either lied to you about charging the system or they did adn you have a good leak somewhere

I agree with l1tech, short cycles equal low or no freon.

All of the Sport Tracs have Wide Open Throttle(WOT) cutout. When the ECU senses a load and the throttle postion sensor is at a certain range, then the ECU will shut off the A/C clutch, remove the field to the alternator, and tell the transmission to downshift sooner. Its trying to get you the response your wanting from your right foot.