Is it Worth Trading in Your Gas Guzzler?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon W9

Reaction score
Found this on another site. It is pretty neat.

2008 Toyota Prius

Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

2007 Sport Trac

XLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

MPG of Fuel-Efficient Vehicle: 47

MPG of My Trade-In: 16

Number of Miles Driven per Month: 1000

Price of Gas: $4.25

Amount Saved on Gas (per month): $175.20

Number of months to break even and begin saving money on gas: 54

So 5.5 years to break even if I dump the ST, assuming of course $4.25 gas for 5 years! :lol:

Some people simply like having a car payment, even if it means they pay less at the pump but more overall.

My vehicles are paid for. I will never save a penny by buying something new to save money at the pump.

Tom

Jon,

You've made a good point, and Tom said it well. I would never trade in my paid-for ST for a high-miles-per-gallon vehicle to save money at the pump. I would only look at gas-sippers if I were already in the market for a new car, anyway.

I've even refused to change my performance tune, which requires 93 octane fuel, to an economy tune so I could get by on 87 gas. There's only about a $5 difference per fill-up between the two. My commute is short, so I only have to buy gas once every 2 1/2 weeks or so. It's worth it, to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only look at gas-sippers if I were already in the market for a new car, anyway.

I would go one step further than that. I would not look at gas sippers. A mid size car like a Fusion or Taurus will get you very high 20's or low 30's without sacrificing space and comfort.

Dad has a 2003 Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan engine that will get him 32 MPG on the highway. It has a large usable trunk, comfortable ride, plenty of elbow room, etc. He could have gotten a Focus that got 36 MPG that was smal, cramped, no trunk space, and at a higher price.

When you calculate a years of driving between the two cars of 15,000 miles, you end up saving about $225/year at $4.50/gallon driving full highway driving.

Where is the savings? In my book, there is none.

Tom

I just read an article on U.S.'es most fuel efficient cars, and the Escape Hybrid is #7. That is a hybrid that i would consider and would not be embarrased to drive. But i love my ST and dont plan to trade it in or sell it, like ever.:D

I mean, here in Colorado, i cant go to a non-4wd car, it is just not worth it. No matter how high the gas prices go. The small hybrids, cant replace the ST, even though they get better gas mileage. The hybrids will start needing expensive tune ups and services, probably on the battery.

we leased a Milan 4 cyl to get better mileage, but also to cut down on the miles (22k/yr) we were putting on the trac. I need to save the trac to tow my camper....

The mpg of a Prius is closer to 40 than 50. We barely cracked 40 on a long test drive in varying conditions. I have talked to some local government workers that have them in motorpools and they say low 40s is the fleet mileage. I also maintain that if you had an instantaneous mileage read out in every car (do they have that in the new Trac?) that you will increase your mileage by 10% via tweaking your driving habits to maximize the mileage reading. So that closes the gap a little on the cost difference calculation.

Don't listen to the battery arguements that hybrid haters use. There are plenty of 2001 Prius models running around on the original batteries. Gas guzzler dealers make claims that the batteries fail after two years. The batteries are actually lasting beyond design expectations.

We have a 12 year old Subaru that is destined to be replaced by a Prius but until the wheels fall off or the engine cracks it does not make economic sense to replace a paid for 25 mpg vehicle with a 25 K new Prius. The Trac is used in the household for camping, Costco, Home Depot, 4WD in snow, etc. Things that a Prius could not replace.

Some friends down the street are out of town for 6 weeks, asked me if I would drive there prius around the hood every couple weeks.

So after reading this post I did an hr ago.

As Achmed would say, it is a lunch box, little low on H.P, but real torqey, they get about 40MPG hwy.

Will stick with my wifes Cooper S, alot more fun to drive and 37 hwy ain't bad.

I have to agree with you guys in that the hybrids aren't ready for prime time, in that they do not have the bang for the buck. What I do like about the hybrids is that the use of alternative fuels sticks it to the middle eastern countries, i.e. O.P.E.C.

BTW, our '01 ST is paid off so all we have is gas and maintenance which is much less than having a car payment averaged out over a year.

My 02 ST is paid for and I'm not looking to replace it any time soon. Some day though I'll need a new vehicle. Just hope someone comes out with a truck in the next few years that gets decent gas mileage. Right now there just isn't any such thing. The 16-21 I get in my Trac is about as good as it gets. To bad I really need a pick-up.

Sure am glad I got rid of the wife's Expedition a couple of years ago though. It wouldn't be worth squat right now.

Sold mine two yrs ago, even with a gear splitter and full banks exhaust, still only got 10 MPG:)

Fun when the kids were young and gas was cheap, need to buy food these days.

My '04 trac was paid for the day I took it home. It has alot more life in it for me. Despite fuel cost. Although the the new STA is tempting but not enough to splurge for it...:D

since i have had 2 taurus and have had a fusion for a month from ford as a demo, i find it hard to believe that they will exceed 30 mpg. even high 20's is fantasy land.

agree, i would not trade in my paid for vehicle for a fuel sipper.

My wife's '05 Mazda 6 (3.0 V6 - 220hp) gets about 28mpg on the highway cruising at 70-80. Around town we've been averaging low 20's. I keep meaning to stick my ScanGauge in there and see what the instant mileage looks like cruising at 65 vs. 75. It's got pretty decent interior room and is a nice ride.

I'd rather give my money to a car manufacturer rather than an oil company. So, yes, I traded my truck in for something more fuel efficient, spent a little, but in the end I got a new car and a smaller gas payment... the rest went to toyota :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts