Irreplaceable?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score

Hello Everyone, I just have a little story for you all.

I've had my 2004 ST for a few years now. It is a top line model with leather and all the toys. Gas has crept up to an alarming level and does not seem to be going down, so regrettably I started my search to replace her with a more fuel efficient vehicle, however, I have been finding something I don't like about everything I test drive! I think I have been spoiled by my ST. I believe it is better than I ever thought. Granted, I have a few "needs" in my new vehicle so as to not be downgrading such as 4x4/awd, sunroof, heated seats, and of course fuel economy. I figured the escape would be a perfect choice, but there is just something about it, I don't like it - it's not my ST!! I drove a rav4, patriot, sx4, awd matrix, ridgeline, juke, don't like any of them! What's an ST lover to do when it's time to move on??

So I've decided that I'll keep her for a little while longer, and enjoy every minute! Keep on truckin guys! :driving:

Oh Yeah, and Merry Christmas!

I like my '04 xlt prm, very much so. I plan driving it along time.

Most versital car I have ever owned. Perfect size for my needs.:supercool:

Ford will find out. Not every one wants or needs a new F150:fire:. Despite the better mpg. Too darn big. If I want a truck that big. I will buy an f250 with a power stroke. The size between the two, is only inches.

I dont care about the cost of gas.....:driving:

I believe Ford has decided that the Ranger sales dwindling mean no one wants a small truck anymore, but what has really happened is no one wants a new small truck with 20 year old technology. I would never buy a current "new" Ranger because it is exactly the same as the 1995 I used to have! Now, bring in the new Ranger that is not coming to North America and watch the people line up to buy one. :banghead: Ford

All Ford has to do is to build a superior quality small truck that will beat the pants off the Toyota Tacoma & Nissan Frontier small trucks. I feel that they will not do that because that will cut into the profit being made on the F-150 which is to big for my needs, although it is a very nice truck. I would like to see the sales figures / comparisons between the Tundra & Tacoma and the Titan & Frontier. Even Chevy has the smaller Colorado.

I understand what you are saying Rodger, however, I have read that the Colorado and Dakota are soon to hit the chopping block, so it really does look like midsize trucks are becoming a thing of the past. The only real option for us is going to be some sort of suv and a small trailer.

Lance, if and when the time comes to pass on my ST, and no replacement exists, I would have to take a long, serious look at the Ford Edge. This would more than fit my needs, AWD, sport model, V6(hopefully the Eco-boost by then). I am trying to be loyal to the marque and would prefer to have another Ford. But, if I really want the truck type, the nod may go to the Chevy Colorado(4x4, V8, short bed, loaded). We don't really have too many choices here. But think about the Edge, its an awesome vehicle. Bob

Bob, I have actually been looking at the Edge. I have not drove one yet, but I really like the way they look, especially the sport. I just don't know if they will be a lot better on fuel than the ST.

Bob, I have actually been looking at the Edge. I have not drove one yet, but I really like the way they look, especially the sport. I just don't know if they will be a lot better on fuel than the ST.

who cares about milage

this thing is a reliable beast get turn the key it starts runs good plenty o room wash and drive enjoy ... next time your driving down auto row pick a simular vehicle and see how many are on the lots as you drive by then look for the count sport tracs

i did and that is how i got my trac

:soap:

I could never replace the Trac with an Edge. I've had all kinds of stuff in the bed of my Trac, bricks, mulch, lumber, rocks...I don't think any SUV would fare very well with that kind of treatment. I would prefer a small truck, but I might look at the F-150 FX2 sport w/ EcoBoost.

:btddhorse:

I've had a load of gravel in the back of mine that was larger than I thought she would be able to handle, but she did it and I was impressed, no you can't put that in an edge, which is why a small 4x8 trailer would be a required purchase with the edge, then you actually would have more utility than the ST, just with the inconvenience of having to deal with a trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my 31 year stint as Parts Mgr at local Ford store I drove Rangers for my personal vehicle and used them as Parts Delivery Trucks. I had Reg Cabs, Super Cabs,gasand diesel powered, Short Beds, Long Beds, 2wd, 4wd, Std shift and A/T models.

After waiting for a Ranger "Super-Crew" I gave up and bought a Sport-Trac in 2007.Perfect vehicle for me whether parked by my wifes Van in my garage here at the Condo or scouting the crops in 4WD on my nearby small farm. Clean it up and off with carload of friends going out to eat or to Church on Sunday.

I love F-150's and it would buy one in heart beat if I needed a full size truck. However, I don't so will make the Trac last as long as I can.

Ford, my wifes Van that I squeeze my Trac in beside is now a VW that replaced a Chrysler Van. Before that I had one of the first Ford Aerostars followed by two Windstars. The Van is a perfect vehicle for us so was forcced to another make when you exited the Van Market. Please don't force a Brand X pickup in beside my Brand X Van !

I would prefer an all FORD line-up in my Garage.

Bill

I had an Edge for about18 months. Drove nice, it was comfortable, then Sync system is like no other especially if you get it with navigation. The gas mileage on the other hand I think could have been better, I only manged to get about 16.5 on average. Took a trip to NM and got 24 mpg but that was with the cruise on 75 non stop on the freeway. Also the Edge suffered horribly from accelerator pedal lag and the trans wouldn't downshift unless you floored it and when it did you knew it but If you get a 2011 or newer Edge Sport you can get the SST adn be able to shift manually so that would probably help some. If you do get an Edge a couple words of advice, DO NOT GET THE VISTA ROOF, Ford has had a ton of issues with these rattling and they have no idea how to fix it, get the MFT (My Ford Touch) system with navigation or you'll be sorry you didn't, do not get AWD as Ford still has not found out how to keep the PTU from leaking.

I posted this in another thread but thought it fi in here too....Along with the market I feel like Ford abandoned me. I do not want a F-150, they are nice but far from my needs regardless of gas mileage this is where you need to listen Ford so I will say it loud for you I BOUGHT 5 RANGERS FROM YOU AND NOW OWN AN AGEING SPORT TRAC AND I WILL NOT BE BUYING A F-150 REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE OR DRIVETRAIN OPTIONS I NEED A CREWCAB MIDSIZE AND I WILL FIND ONE WITH OR WITHOUT A FORD OVAL ON THE FRONT. I have owned 13 Ford 10 of which I have bought "brand new" so you owe it to me and others like ME to build what I want to buy. GM , TOYOTA ,DODGE and NISSAN all feel like there is a market why don't you ? Bring the "global" Ranger here with the I-4 ecoboost motor in a crew cab it should get about 27-29 mpg that would make everyone happy tree huggers and all ! I WANT TO BUY A FORD !

I had Reg Cabs, Super Cabs,gasand diesel powered, Short Beds, Long Beds, 2wd, 4wd, Std shift and A/T models.

I wasn't aware that Ford ever sold a diesel-powered Ranger in the US.

Guys I feel the same way. In 40 some years of driving I have never owned anything but Ford products. I may be one of the only guys who can say the first car he ever owned was a Boss 429 Mustang. I currently own six Fords. Well, one is a Mercury ('68 390 Cougar). Anyway, if Ford had the sense to bring the T6 Ranger here I would be one of the first in line to buy one. What really irks me though is that on some websites, and Blue Oval News in particular, the more vocal members support Ford's decision not to bring the new Ranger to the US. It is to the point where those self proclaimed experts, including the administrators and moderators, post the same old garbage about how people who want this truck have no clue about profits and sound business practices. They seem bent on suppressing any ideas that do not agree with the company line. I refer to them as "corporate bobbleheads" in most of my posts. I suppose that does nothing to endear them to me but at this point I don't much care. All I know is that if Ford would rather lose all of us who have bought Rangers and Sport Tracs in the past to their competition that doesn't sound like a very good business case to me.:banghead:

TrainTrac, I believe the Ranger Diesel I had was a 1985. 4 cylinder, great mileage, and started well in cold weather. Engine was Japanese probably Mazda based. Only available a year or two, then they offered a turbo diesel next. Begged my boss to order one for my Parts Delivery truck but he didn't as he didn't like Diesels.Also only available a year or so I believe.

I love my 2004 ST Explorer. If it is that great why sell. It's not the gas prices. How much gas can you buy for the $45,000 you will probably pay for a new something.

That's true but it is also true that anything mechanical is going fail eventually or just plain wear out. While I would love to keep my Trac forever I know that cannot happen, especially if I have to drive it most of the time. Sure, we could probably replace parts as they wear out but parts are not going to be available forever. Some people would also rather buy a new vehicle with a warranty than deal with a high mileage and high maintenance vehicle. When it gets to the point where you are spending more on maintenance than you would on a car payment it just doesn't make sense anymore.

Latest posts