Irene and General HTS Tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Reitz

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I recommend General HTS tires in a chain and got beat up by a few members for my recommendation. OK, this site is for our opinions and exchanges. I had 115K miles on my HTS's before Irene put one 80' Oak tree on my '02 ST and a second on my house. My ST was destroyed and my house has about $15K of damage. I'm dealing was the insurance company now.

After re-reading the chain on the Generals I went to my local Jack Williams store where I bought my tires. They are a a local chain of 20 + stores here in PA. I asked them the following questions. Do you guys recommend Generals? I looking for tires and was considering the Generals. "We sell 100's of them every week - they've been recommended by Consumers Report as a best buy for 3 years." Ok, any problems with them. "We wouldn't sell them if we did."

So, I showed them a print out of the feedback I was given - No names here!!! The manager and 2 foremen got a real good laugh on reading it!!!! "What are these guys smoking?" So I asked them what gives here, there must be a problem somewhere here!! " Well, who mounted them ? Maybe they should get them mounted correctly!!!!"

Any way, I miss my ST and will miss you guys and all of the good articles you have provided over the years. We miss our ST. Irene was a real Bit--h here. But, I'm thankful no one was hurt. John

Oh, did I mention, I still recommend the General HTS!!! LOL

Generals get pretty good reviews from guys looking for cheaper off road tires. Not familiar with the thread you're referring to but I haven't heard many bad things about General.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks jupton3.

I had 115k on the ST, 15K on the tires. I have some parts I'll list on the site later. FYI I've included the web site for Jack Williams - might want to check on prices FYI!!!

http://www.jackwilliams.com/

Sorry for your losses.

No Idea of the thread you are talking about.

Sounds to me like you are shoving some misplaced anger, up some noses here.

you have to remember you are dealing with some long term trac owners. With real world experiance, with tires on their tracs. Not every vehicle with perform the same as another with same tires, shocks, etc.

I could probably come up with many stores in my area. That wont sell them. So whats the point. Other than making your argument:argue: for sound better than the next guys'.

Peace

I feel for you.

I am also in PA and Irene snapped a tree on my property.

The tree could have fallen in any direction except for one 20 degree pie slices of a 360 degree circle and not damaged anything. Guess where it decided to fall....

Right on my neighbor's brand new car.

Anyway....

I love my General Grabber HTS tires.

The factory Goodyears lasted 45,000. The Generals have been on since then and look to still have about 10,000-15,000 miles left.

Current miles on my ST are 95,000.

They were rated in the top 3 by every testing website I researched tires at before I made my choice.

I never noticed any difference in traction, under any condition, compared to the GYs. They were a tiny bit noisier than the GYs when they were new but the GYs got very noisey toward the end of their lives. The Generals sound pretty much the same as they did when they were new. They are wearing nice and even at the 35psi all round I prefer. The GYs wore badly uneven at that psi.

They were way cheaper than the GYs which made it an easy decision. I found an online coupon and ended up only paying $105/tire plus tax.

Yea Jeff! Maybe it's a PA thing??

Eddies'04. You and many other true techies have made this web site what it is - Great!! I didn't intend to shove anything - Sorry you took it that way and any others. Everyone, keep on ST- ing!!

Latest posts