iPhone Experts???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought an unlocked/jailbroken 3G and then plugged it in iTunes...well it updated to 4.1 and I lost the jailbreak and unlock features. No big deal. I jailbreak it again and lose the phone app and Cydia (the Jailbreak app) does not work. I try and restore it to factory settings and it won't connect via iTunes. It gives me an error message '1602'? What should I do....unistall/reinstall iTunes and see if that works?

Sorry man, I'm not much of an expert. I know automotive way more then I know electronics. I'm sure someone on here will chime in before too long.

:banghead::sad:

In doing a search for your specific error, this is what I found...

Issue

When trying to restore your iPhone in iTunes, you may see the following message followed by an error code 1601 or 1602:

The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred.

Or when trying to restore your iPod touch in iTunes, you may see the following message:

The iPod "[username]" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1602)

Solution

Completely remove iTunes and Apple Mobile Device support and then reinstall iTunes 7.5 or later. Click the appropriate link below for instructions on how to accomplish this for your operating system.

The link explains how to do this depending on what Windows you are using..

Last edited by a moderator:
And, I also found this as there were more than a fisfull of complaints stating that the above solution didn't solve the issue.

There is not need to reinstall software so ever. If you have jailbreak ipod & brick it. Here is you need to do to restore your ipod 1. download unofficialsn0w (you can google it to fiind download this zip file) 2. download your ipod firmware depend on your ipod gene (in this case mine one is 2G) 3. unzip your UnofficialSnow.zip file 4. copy your ipod firmware with .zip extention to unofficialsn0w/IPSW folder where you have unzip. Rename your firmware file to OriginalFW.ipsw ( window pop up when .zip extention change to .ipsw extention, click "yes" for the change) 5. go to /unofficialn0w folder click on IPSW.bat ( C command window will pop up & run for few minute) 6. go to /IPSW folder to find file JB.ipsw change the extention JB.ipsw.zip and extract or unzip this file to the folder where you have unzip your unofficialsn0w, and change new unzip JB.ipsw to exactly name your ipod firmware (this case my ipod 2G is change to iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a_Restore ) 7. Put your ipod to dfu mode ( hold the power button and home button for about 10 second, repeat this until you see the ipod dfu logo) 8. go to /unofficialn0w folder click on boot.exe then click RUNME.exe, if you have error message in dos window " ipod not found". You need to down load QuickFreedom and follow throught the instruction and repeat step 7 & 8. 9. itune window will pop up ask for restore ** important ** hold down "Shift" key on your key board and clik "Restore" at the same time, window pop up look for your JB.ipsw file in step 6. Your ipod is restore 10. if you have error 20 or 1601 etc. in itune window click "Help" & "check for update" this will fix the error. Good Luck