Interview -- Personality Test

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have been interviewing fro jobs now for about amontha and finally got a call back for a second interview. The HR women in the firm said the next step in their interviewing process was to get me into do a personality test. Anybody have any experiences with these or know what I should expect on this thing, it kind of got me worried a bit. If it helps any I am interviewing for a entry level staff acccountant postion at a public accounting firm.

Thanks, CHRIS

I took one of these tests a few years ago. All I can say about it is this: I was totally honest in how I answered the questions and I did NOT get the job!

I have taken several, some for fun, a few for work, and one or two for church related work. Being honest is the only way you should take them. Most likely, they want to see how well you work with others, what is the best way to work with you, and where you might be better suited in regards to types of work.

I never lost a job because of my personality. I have learned where I work best when it comes to focus, schedule, etc.

For me, I find that I work best behind the scenes, away from the 'glory'. I work well within a small group, where I am the one that sits on the side and is able to see all views, incorporate them and then bring something to the table.

So, just be honest. If your in for a second interview, it sounds good.

Hellhound94 seems to be making a good point. Sometimes such tests are simply a "plays well with others" assessment.

If you are opinionated, and if you are the type that typically thinks you are the smartest in the room and everyone else is an idiot (even if such may very well be the case...ha), then that will come out in a test like that if you answer honestly....and that might not be a good thing.

I have taken such tests for jobs. I have never NOT gotten a job because of such a test.

One way to take such a test, though it can be a hassle, is for each question try to figure out what Joe or Jane HR would want the answer to be. Often it's the most vanilla, politically correct, "plays well with others" answer. But be warned, sometimes the test scores will be dismissed if they appear "too good to be true!"

Good luck. Welcome to the era of the though police. Everyone wants to hire highly skilled and valuable individuals...but they would rather they think and act just like everyone else.

TJR

TomT,

That's a good test, but easy to "cheat". Simply answer NO to everything or most everything and get LOW rating on all the abnormal personality types.

The types of tests I have taken area little more subtle in their questions.

Questions like:

If working jointly on a project with co-workers, would you rather be the one that comes up with the successful idea even if no one knows it, the person that implements the idea, or the person that demonstrates the results?

TJR

O man TJR's questions are the ones that I am dreading, thats for sure. From what I have been reading alday I have to stay consistant, a very important factor.

CHRIS

Chris,

As far as being consistent, if you are denied a job because your questions weren't consistent claim that you have a multiple personalities disorder and that you can't legally be discriminated for having that disability...then sue them if you don't get the job. ;)

Three steps to passing these tests:

1) Don't say anything about your relationship with your mother.

2) Ask your "imaginary" friend to stay home that day.

3) Leave your meat cleaver at home. (If necessary, have your "imaginary" friend look after it for you.)

;)

I had to take one to work at Best Buy back in the day. It was basically like stated above.. do you play well with others? So just answer like your boss would want you to, not how you actually would if there were no consequences. So don't click the option for punching people in the face who annoy you and you should be fine :blink:

The one I posted above is extremely basic but should give you the genearal idea. Should have seen the one I had to take to get licensed as a peace officer. Took all day. Makes me wonder how some cops get hired.

On a lots of test if you try to answer the way you think will give them what that want you have to be careful. As TJR said you will end up mid-line without any trait prevailing. Some test show this as a anti-social, 2 % of the population. Your mass murders, politicians, generals, ceo's and such come from this group. They have no conscience.

I have taken several of those "Personality" tests. Problem is that most people answer the questions the way they think the employer want them to, rather than how they would really react.

A good interviewer could extract more insight to the candidates personality with a few properly worded questions than they get out of a Personality test.

...Rich

More than likely, they will have you take a version of the Myers-Briggs personality test. I have taken it three times in the past for jobs and scored identically every time.

Most places that make you take the test just want to make sure you "fit" within the general personality dynamic of the company.

Hoestly nothing to worry about in my opinion.

http://www.myersbriggs.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I took it yesterday as planned, the test to me was complete B/S, but I guess thats what you have to do sometimes. It was over 400 problems and took me about 2 hours. I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Thanks for the comments.

CHRIS

Chris,

As Scott said above that might have been a MyersBriggs test, or a variant of that type of test. If a Myers Briggs type test I am surprised that companies are giving that test prior to making a hiring decision. Those types of tests typically profile to what level you are an introvert or a extrovert, whether your sense or intuit, etc.

These traits and styles I describe that are profiled by the MB and tests like it aren't really a "pass/fail" indication. Said another way, being profiled by such a test simply defines your preferred styles and general makeup and that doesn't mean there is anything RIGHT or WRONG with the person profiled.

For this reason I don't see why these types of tests would be given prior to employment. A diverse company needs people of all types.

Good luck, Chris.

TJR

Latest posts