Intermittent air bag warning light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Pilgrim

Reaction score
My 09 adrenaline with 6800 Kms has now displayed the air bag warning light

about 3 or 4 times. Each time, it is just after starting up.

I turn it off and then restart about 20 or 30 seconds later and the light is out.

Any ideas? Does this mean the air bag is going or malfunctioning?

I suspect if it does stay on it might mea a trip to the dealer.

Thx

Mel

Check the sensor connections. For loosness or corrosion.

Be sure to disconect the battery first. Drain all residual current.

Any suggestion which ones to start first? This is the first winter th truck has been used. I wondered if maybe the cold but loose connection would be my guess.

mine has been doing the same thing. I think it's related to this TSB. I will be adding a ferrite core to the wiring harness of the cluster soon, hope it fixes the airbag light and a few other strange occurences of the gauges that I see sometimes...

TSB

10-2-15 ODOMETER DISPLAY READING MOMENTARILY FLIPS FROM BOTTOM TO TOP OF MESSAGE CENTER SCREEN

Publication Date: February 3, 2010

FORD: 2006-2010 Explorer

2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac

MERCURY: 2006-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer and 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a condition where the odometer display reading momentarily flips from the bottom to the top of the message center screen, then back to the normal display mode (Figure 1). This concern may be very intermittent and difficult to verify.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The following procedure involves installing a Fair Rite Round Cable Snap-On Suppressor (only one required) which must be ordered directly from the supplier Newark listed below:

Newark telephone number 1-800-463-9275.

Newark website: www.Newark.com.

Newark part number: 78K6137.

Manufacturer: Fair Rite.

Manufacturer part number: 0444176451.

Remove the Instrument Cluster (IC). Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.

NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO DOWNLOAD THE IC CONFIGURATION INFORMATION.

Install the Fair Rite Round Cable Snap-On Suppressor around the cluster harness circuits. (Figure 3)

Install PVC tape (164-R4901) from Rotunda kit (164-R4900) around the suppressor. (Figure 4)

Install a tie strap in between the Suppressor and the wiring harness. (Figure 5)

Tuck the suppressor behind the IC plastic support bracket and secure the tie strap around the instrument cluster bracket. (Figure 6)

Install the IC. Refer to WSM, Section 413-01.

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

100215A 2006-2010 Explorer, Mountaineer 2007-2010 Explorer Sport Trac: Install Suppressor, Includes Time To Remove And Install The Instrument Cluster (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

10849 42

Last edited by a moderator:
All the wireing issues ford is having. Makes me wonder if they hired elec engineers from, '60/'70/'80's chrysler corp....LOL

Just got the ferite core from Newark. Will be installing it soon. that thing is bigger and heavier than I expected!

Latest posts