Interior rear water leak! Strange! Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Jones

Reaction score
I have a 2008 ST Limited with subwoofer. NO SUNROOF. REAR WINDOW IS RARE IF EVER LET DOWN. It rained here for maybe 5 of 7 days. I was about to give someone a jump and reached for my jumper cable bag, which I keep behind the back seat, and it was SOAKING WET! I looked at the jack cover and it was SOAKING wet. The little tray above the sub...you guessed it! SOAKING WET!!

I checked the exterior body and noticed water condensate in the 3rd brake/Cargo light assembly. I'm assuming this is where the water is coming in.

Anyone else experience this? I haven't seen so much water since the day I bought the truck and didn't realize the rear window was down. That was over a year ago.

Yup very common, went through this a few months back myself. It is the 3rd brake light. People have used silicone on the threads, pushed down on the lens itself when tightening the 2 screws. I myself bought 2 new screws off of ebay with the 2 rubber washers that come with them and replaced the old ones, pushed down on the lens as i tightened and siliconed over the top with clear silicone and it has been perfect since. I think in the project section you may find more info, but this worked for me. Hope it helps, Its a pretty easy fix. Jim

I could not find this fix in the Projects section. I have the same problem. Does the fix involve removing the light, placing a bead of silicone around the interior edge of the light and then re-attaching it?

As mentioned, this is a widely experienced issue and most have found the 3rd brake light to be the culprit. Here's my reply to another member and if you click the wrench next to my name, there is a project for the removal/replacement of the 3rd light housing... "I used GOOP (silicon based glue) to fill the screw holes . . . . In my case, when I backed the screws out, I noticed a very small rubber o-ring on each screw. The rubber is pretty thin & fragile. I believe the ring is actually designed to stay within the brake light housing, but do to the physical traits, the ring very easily comes out of place. Once I filled the holes and reset the screws, I've been leak free for a couple years now..."

Good luck to you!

Latest posts