interior lights come on randomly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric English

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why main interior lamp comes on randomly when I'm driving? It's not necessarily over a bump . . . sometimes it's when I'm going fast, sometimes when I'm going slow. Seems pretty dang random. I've read that it could be the ignition switch but I don't have a heavy key chain on there and when I bang the keys around the light doesn't come on . . . so I'm not sure that's the culprit. Any thoughts?

Other possibilities are a faulty door ajar switch in the latch, or broken wiring by the door hinge, usually the most used drivers door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the 2007, but my 2001 dash light dimmer switch also switches on and off the interior lights (just past full bright for the dash lights), and it gets dirty (it's not a sealed switch). If I haven't used it in a few months, I have to cycle it several times for a good contact. In this case, if I have the switch set for full dash light brightness, and inadvertently moved the switch to the interior light On position, the interior lights may go on intermittently.

Fiddle with the switch.

^ VERY good point. Dimmer light switch failures are fairly common. Electrical contact cleaner?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya - I'd try that - cheap and easy. I believe that the switches get dirty, but are otherwise in good physical condition - clean and move on.

I turned the switch on and off a few times and then set it to a bit lower intensity and voila! no light came on tonight when I test drove it. I'll keep playing with it and report back. Thank you for all the suggestions.