Intake/Exhaust for V8 STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Martin

Reaction score

Ok...It's time to mod my 2009 STA. Tried to do some research on my own for a K & N cold airbox and an aftermarket exhaust - ie Magnaflow. Had this setup on my previous truck - Nissan Titan...worked well.

I can't seem to find anything that is a perfect bolt-on fit for my STA - Can anyone direct me to an easy to install and effective set up? I'm looking for a little more performance and some growl...not too much growl...but something that sounds great when I mash the throttle.

Thanks in advance!

There is no direct bolt-on exhaust system for the 2008-2010 STA. You'll have to have a custom exhaust system done. You could probably just buy the muffler of your choice and have a good shop install it and a new tail pipe for under $250. If I had a Gen 2 V8 Trac, I'd probably install a Flowmaster Delta Flow SUV-50.

As for intakes, K&N lists two for the 2008 Explorer V8 that also fit the Sport Trac V8. Part numbers are:

- 63-2573 (Black pipe)

- 77-2573KP(Chrome/polished pipe)

I would think the the magna-flow for the gen 2 trac would work. Just get and exhaust shop to mod where the tail pipe dumps. A matter of cutting off the side dump and adding pipe to the rear. You will get most of the benfit of stainless mandrel bends and larger tubing.

+1 on the Magnaflow and the K&N intake (with the plastic tube) for an explorer. Then you need to contact Todd Zabia @ Zabtek performance for an oversize throttle body. Oh yeah, you'll need a computer performance tune from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, but then you will need to upgrade the brakes to slow you down. Hmmmmm, what else? BC :banana::banana:

Take a look at my Cardomain Website below for mod ideas!!

My FULL Nocturnal Carbon fiber Dragon INtake will be for sale in Sept if you want to wait that long!!

I went go Magnaflow. I'm not sure I would bother with the K&N intake. Especially if you love in an area that gets really cold. Mine has actually come off the throttle body a few times. It also messes up your trans shift stratagy.

When cold they produce this really annoying whistle.

I'm not the only member who has experiances this issue with the K&N intake.

If you don't mind the above, the gains in throttle response, power and sound are great.

Also consider an exhaust dump with an electric cutout. You could keep your stock exhaust and have unrestricted flow at thge push of a a button.

I have some pictures on my cardomain page. Just search Psycareyo.

I would think the the magna-flow for the gen 2 trac would work. Just get and exhaust shop to mod where the tail pipe dumps.

Not a bad idea, but the full Magnaflow kit for the Trac still runs ~$600.

If the Magnaflow sound is the one you want, you can pick up a Magnaflow muffler on eBay for ~$70-$80, then just have it installed and remove the OEM resonator. I'm still betting that if you go this route, you can do the whole exhaust mod for under $250.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ True. This is what I did. The stock exhaust is stainless. There's really no benefit to replace it all. I bought a SS Magnaflow muffler. Total cost + installation = $160. I was still not happy with the sound due to the huuuuuge resonator. I had a different shop cut that out, weld straight pipe in + hanger for $70. Total cost thus far = $230. It looks totally stock (OEM tailpipe exit still), but sounds very loud.

That is what I did as well. No point in buying the Magnaflow CBE when all you can use are the parts muffler and prior. You can't use the axle back portion at all on the STA.

Nice going on the fabricated exhaust. Definitely saved a few bucks. :supercool:

Just as an fyi, I had no whistling with the K&N CAI kit and it never came off or got loose. Though like the Magnaflow system, it was a few bucks more than some who have made a custom CAI, though I felt the K&N was a good product, before my latest power mod.

For anyone thinking of going the Magnaflow catback system versus custom, the best price out there should be $474 or less right now. Magnaflow does not let distributors advertise below a certain price point, however if you contact them (or even check out eBay, many will auction with a 'Make Me an Offer') the system can be had for a bunch less than $600. I picked mine up for around $425 shipped (with a lifetime warranty on the system). Stinks that Magnaflow doesn't offer a system with the correct tailpipe exit for the STA. :banghead:

Enjoy your STA. They are nice! :haveabeer:

I have a Noc-Perf intake using the stock airbox and custom Magnaflow exhaust using the stock rear exit. I love the way it sounds and drives. Here is a pic of the Intake and a short clip of the exhaust. The clip is before the latest tune revision.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts