Insulin users WAY OT.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe your being ignorant. There's probably 20 million smokers out there but I do not want one to light up next to me in a restaurant. It's simply being considerate of others. What's wrong with that? How is that a slam against diabetics?

Everything offends everyone now...what a joke. And second hand smoke is not comparable to someone appropriately medicating themslves. I will agree the person can/should be discrete but I doubt too many people are "flaunting" their disease for attention.

(and it's you're, not your)

As a person that has to inject insulin before eating... I have 15 minutes to eat after taking a shot. Which do you think is cleaner, the table you are eating at or the bathroom counter? All I can say is YUCK!

The biggest problem I have with injecting in the bathroom, is there is often some JERK that has to stare at you while you inject. Going into a stall doesn't work, there is no countertop inside.

I bring my kit with me, take my blood sugar by pricking my finger and using my meter, as much under the table as possible. I take my pen out, screw on a new needle, dial my dose, and inject through my clothes. I try to be descrete, but hey, there's a lot to do.

The person injecting should be descrete, the others should do their best to ignore it. Buy hey, that's just me!

jeff

Nelson, if there is blood squirting from the test, then the person has bigger things to worry about; I've never seen blood squirting while testing blood sugar.

TomT, how does someone testing their blood harm your health?

As a type 1 insulin dependant diabetic I can certainly not understand injecting where other people would be able to see what was going on. Not so much for their benifit, but for my own.

As jgbackes stated, however, the restroom is really not the best place to be performing this task either. Luckily I have been on an insulin pump now for about 18 months and this is not a problem and longer. This allows me to take a insulin bolus with very little attention being called to what is really going on.

I will say that this is a serious condition that this person is having to deal with. I'm not sure if you were freaked out by the injection, the finger prick, or both. I would have tried to have found a more descrete place to have done the actual injection out of the public eye. For those that think the injection should have been done in the car you should really think about what you would have been asking this individual to have done. Take an injection prior to dining in a restarant with an undetermined amount of time before you may be able to place your order much less have it delivered to you. This would not be an advisable alternative. Most diabetics taking injections are using fast acting insulin. This said, you may have been more comfortable not seeing the injection but later wondered why the guy was acting strange and possibly becoming unconscious prior to his meal getting to him. Although this may have been more comfortable to you, it would have been extremely more uncomfortable for him.

Also, as Mike stated. It doesn't appear that he was in a high blood sugar emergency. And even if he was he would have had ample time to have found a more private setting for himself to have taken the injection in private. If he was in a high blood sugar emergency he cetainly is not setting a good diabetic example of regulating his blood sugar.

To the nose picking comment.......... Grow Up!!!!! I hope your point was meant only ill advised humor. With the rampant onslaught of this disease you may just be counting the days until you are stricken with it. Until that time comes please stop picking your own nose in this forum.

Caleb

TomT, how does someone testing their blood harm your health?

Never said it did. I did not bring up the cigarette smoking as a health issue. I brought it up merely as an example of how people should be considerate of others. Even if they found second hand smoke to be healthful, it would be impolite to do it in front of others that don't smoke. But I'm not saying anything else. The only real people that count are the actual diabetics that have posted. They all seem to agree some discretion is best. Case closed.

Caleb's post is right on. My ex wife had diabetes, and I understood the hassles of the affliction as well as the horrible future that most diabetics will someday face, regardless of how well they control their condition. I have nothing but extreme respect for anyone who has diabetes. (BTW: the injections and blood tests are nothing compared to everything else that goes along with the disease.)

A little more respect and understanding of diabetes is in order, and a little less sensitivitiy to minor things like a small finger prick or a small injection of life-saving hormone is needed. Sure, there are some who "flaunt" their disease and who probably want some pity, but if you know more about the disease you will probably understand this more too.

Some good information about diabetes is at:

This thread had had a lot of discussion. For my part, I brought up two things that people do that are considered gross and not suitable in public in our society. The original question dealt with conducting a blood test and injection [medical procedures] at the dinnner table. Of course, none of these activities inflict harm on anyone who happens to witness them. Inflicting harm is not the point. The concern is whether or not one's actions cause others to feel uncomfortable. That's what "politeness" is all about. I seriously doubt that any ettiquet [spelling] expert would condone conducting medical procedures at the dinner table in the company of others.

I am a diabetic and take insulin twice a day. I would not give myself a shot at the dinner table even at home, much less in a public resturant. I would have gone to the restroom to administer the insulin...but that's just me.

Actually, I am going to a meeting tomorrow evening at my Doctor's office for a demonstration of a new insulin pump.

...Rich

Top 3 threads on the MYST web site over the last 48 hours.

Number Three

Neighbor Trouble: weighing in with 26 posts

Number Two (and my favorite)

Watching Glen Beck: with 27 posts

And the most favorite OT post goes to:

Insulin Users: 30 posts

I was under the impression that this was a site dedicated to discussing our trucks?????

Let me be the first to respond back to anyone bringing this topic up again to stop being lazy and to do a “Search”.

On a lighter note…… I guess ToddZ does need a break every once in a while…:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, all three threads have a common theme. They are debates concerning how we deal with our "neighbors". We are called to love our neighbors as ourselves in the New Testament. In grade school we had a non-denominational "Golden Rule" we were taught, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Back on topic -- everyone has an affliction of one sort or other sometimes during their lives. I try to empathize with and help those less fortunate than me. Hopefully, when I am the one needing it, folks will treat me with the same caring attitude.

LOL Caleb. I'll be the first to admit I get carried away by some of the off-topic posts here. Probably because this is really the only internet site I regularly visit and any advice for the Tracs I leave to the experts like Todd Z that know far more then I will ever know. But lets face it. This site would be damn boring without all the off-topic posts. That's why I love it. And for the most part, except when maybe Q gets involved, we have some very good open discussions.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts