Insulin users WAY OT.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
Is it ok for insulin users to administer their insulin while seated at a table for dinner in a restaurant? We had dinner with 8 couples this weekend and one did right in front of me. Yeah I am a bit uptight about needles and stuff. Before that the person did a prick finger test to measure the blood sugar. Call me nuts but if I had diabetes I would think a short trip to the restroom would be in order.:eek:

Not a considerate person. Technically, not any different than picking one's nose at the dinner table or letting go a real loud, juicy.....................

I don't like needles either. To be polite the bathroom would be best. If my daughter saw it she would ask me 1001 questions on what was going on.:blink: Maybe they just couldn't make it to the bathroom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although not something I would speak up about after all the person does have a life altering condition. That being said yes I personally would excuse myself to the rest room or handled it in the car before entering. My first impression is this person likes the attention factor of performing this procedure at the table. Diabetes is certainly common so I hope we hear from some people with first hand experience on this subject.

no i do not have diabetes, but as an EMT i am commonly called to diabetic emergencies...it doesnt sound like this situation was an emergency, seems more like a casual situation, but when this individual checked his levels, if they were way out of line then yes it is necessary to do it immediatly. some diabetics can go from a normal, to diabetic shock, or extreme high's and low's very fast . in this case he may not have had time to go to the bathroom to conduct his business as he may not have made it there. but i probably would have felt the same way you did.

What is up with you guys afraid of needles?...LOL Have you ever seen a steriod injection into ones back that has disc damage? I swear it looks like a drill press putting a needle into the spine. Those Insulin needles are nothin.

On topic, probably a good idea to go to the bathroom or do the test and shot in the car before going in to eat.

My brother in-law is good about doing that. He just tells us he will catch up with us. We know he is then checking is blood sugar level and most likely shooting up with insulin.

Bill-E said:
Not a considerate person. Technically, not any different than picking one's nose at the dinner table or letting go a real loud, juicy.....................

What? Sure, it's not the most considerate thing to do, but "TECHNICALLY NO DIFFERENT" then farting or picking your nose...c'mon!

They are VERY technically different. I have seen people walk into a public rest room and rip a ripe one, and that's pretty rude. I have also seen people pick their noses in the privacy of their cars, and that too is gross. Either of those are much more objectionable than someone self-medicating...technically they are very different things.

Technically speaking, we are talking about self-medicating. If someone reached into their purse, pulled out a pill compact then took a pill with a glass of water at the dinner table, I think most of us would think nothing of it. TECHNICALLY, the insulin user is doing exactly the same thing, just with a different method. Neither of those cases are TECHNICALLY like someone floating an air biscuit.

As I said, I think there are better places and ways to do such a thing, but I don't see a huge problem with it. Seems to me the car before coming in would have been the more appropriate place.

TJR

I don't think it's that big of a deal. One of our neighbors is diabetic, and whenever she's over eating dinner, she'll check hers. Last time, she did have to change it right away, but apologized afterwards. Diabetes runs in my family and I've lived with people with it all my life. Just forget it and move on.

I probably would have excused myself and gone to the bathroom or to another room if I were the person with diabetes, but I really don't think it was that big of a deal either way. It is just a quick little shot of life-saving medicine--not anything like farting or picking one's nose. If you were offended at seeing a small needle, you probably are way over sensitive. Having diabetes is quite a lot more offensive to the diabetic than someone seeing a needle. Diabetes is something like the #3 killer, and it drastically affects the entire body and causes disability, a much shorter lifespan, blindness, and many other problems.

What if you had a guest who started breast-feeding at the dinner table? This would be a more comparable situation in my mind.

People who were offended should probably lighten up a bit and put a different perspective on the situation.

Hardly the same thing as taking a pill. I agree the more polite thing would have been to do it in the restroom or car. It's common for diabetics and he probably thought nothing of it but it's not something non-diabetics and especially children need to see.

I doubt very seriously if it was a medical emergency.

Thanks for responding, all the responses so fast. A few more thoughts. My Dad has had Diabetes for 30 years. He thinks nothing of "shooting up" at the dinner table. He likes the attention despite my verbal objections. The person the other night had just recently had a baby and maybe has diabetes as a by product of the pregnancy. Perhaps she doesn't understand the manners involved. From what I can tell this was not an emergency situation. Overall I thought it could have been done in the restroom or outside. All in all we are all a bit different and still enjoy her company at social functions. Next time when we sit for dinner I may look for a seat further down the row. As far as needles go I had 3 steriod epidurals 2 years ago and never want an 8 inch needle anywhere near my back!!!!:eek::eek:

I see no problem with what this person did. I'll grant, that it may have been better to either go someplace else, or to ask those present at the table if they mind--but I don't feel that's required, or that it's uncalled for to do it in public. (Unless, of course, they're dropping trou to inject it into their @$$. But I've yet to hear of insulin that is administered in this way.)

For those of you worried that your children would ask questions--So what? If my daughter were to see this, and started asking questions, I'd embrace the situation as an educational experience. I may even ask the person if s/he minds if my daughter asked them some questions directly--they likely would be more than happy to help answer them.

And I fully agree with those of you who say it's nothing like picking your nose or breaking wind. I think a better analogy is that it's more like a pre-meal prayer. Some people "need" to do it (and yes, I'll grant that the needs--medical and spiritual--are very different, but I still think this analogy holds up a lot better than most others presented here so far), and of those people, some choose to do it privately, some choose to do it in public, and none of them are harming or bothering anyone when they do it, despite the fact that some over-sensitive people might not care for either. I, on the other hand, see no problem with either.

My wife has been an insulin dependent for 30 yrs. I will not allow her to test or take a shot in the restrooms, "SANITARY REASONS". Some of you need to have a heart aout a crippling disease, that takes more lives than stats show. For now all she has to do is check her glucose levels. She wears an insulin pump. She still gets weird looks from some people when she has to make an adjustment to the dosage. People see the tubing that is hooked to her body and freak. ****** !!!!!

Calm down Eddie we are all friends here and nobody was trying to be offensive or ignorant of someone else's situation. Some of us like me have no real first hand experience with diabetes. I think really everyone is basing their opinions on the very common built in fear of shots and anything to do with blood. Place this at the dinner table and of course some people are going to object. The diabetes issue is not really even an issue at all in this discussion. Our fears of blood and shots are probably not warranted but then again for some reason we have had them for thousands of years.

This is an interesting topic, as it relates directly to our social norms and what we find acceptable and not accceptable. Gavin mentioned breastfeeding at the table. I think we should stop and ask ourselves why we find these things objectionable. What is it about breastfeeding, a perfectly natural thing, that we think belongs in a private setting? Is it a woman's breast, which we also believe should be kept private? Fine, I can accept that... except that most women who breastfeed have bras and shirts designed specifically for the purpose, and they're usually so good at it that there's hardly a chance of a "wardrobe malfunction". Now, if a woman is just "whipping it out" for all to see, sure, there's a decency issue involved... but if she's being relatively polite about it, covering up as best she can, what's the problem?

Don't get me wrong... using the restroom is a "perfectly natural thing" as well, but I'm not advocating people drop trou wherever they feel like it... there are obvious issues with sanitation involved, not to mention most peoples' delicate sense of smell.

Assuming that insulin usage is on par with breastfeeding for a moment, why do we object to it? Certainly some people are squeemish about needles or blood, and seeing these things in a relaxed setting (such as a dinner table) isn't preferred. Okay. But is that really the issue? Or is it more accurate to say that, as a whole, our society has dictated that certain things aren't discussed in polite company, and certainly certain actions aren't taken. But why? Similar to the breastfeeding issue above, if a diabetic is relatively low-key about it, what's wrong with taking care of a necessary function when and where necessary?

I think Bill V says it well when comparing insulin shots to mealtime prayer. I may not be of your religion... in fact, I may be relatively opposed to it. But am I going to object to your quiet, solitary observance of it? Certainly not.

I object, too, to the argument of children being exposed to these things. I'll go on record to state that I am no a parent, but that said, should I have a child I would not be opposed to my child seeing someone taking insulin at the dinner table. Would this result in 1001 questions? Certainly! Is this a bad thing? No! I think we should encourage our children to be inquisitive and curious (while teaching them polite manners).

Wow. I've said more than enough. But in closing, I'll restate one main point: We should ask ourselves why we react to things more often, rather than just checking to see if our reaction is normal. Normalcy is overrated, and often just plain stupid. ;)

Good for you Rose. I have a deep sympathy for those inflicted with the disease. My grandfather had it and my mother got is in her 50's (type B) so I have to be really careful myself. Me, I could care less. Having spent 27 years in the fire service I stuck a lot of needles in people but I just don't think it's what people who are not used to it want to see. It's not rude it's just being polite. As for Fast Eddie's claim that restrooms are not sanitary enough, if done PROPERLY it's not a factor. And if that's not acceptable then there's always the car or at home. If it is by chance a medical emergency then I believe people would fully understand.

Some of the responses on here are suprisingly ignorant. You can all have your opinion, but come on. Diabetes affects over 20 million Americans and that is likely to double in the next decade. Its an ENORMOUS cost our healthcare system (and thus taxpayers). Non-compliance with medication is the number cause of complications and costs from diabetes. If someone is diligent enough to do what they are supposed to (check their glucose and adjust their insulin based on meal choices) we should applaud them not stigmatize them further. You all might as well become more accepting because I guarantee all of you will likely be affected by diabetes (yourself or a close family member or friend) in your lifetime. Get used to it.

I'm not squeamish about needles. I took allergy shots for several years as a kid. My only concern at the dinner table would be if the person were to squirt blood onto someone or their food. I have seen blood squirt unexpectedly first-hand within the past year when I was having some blood drawn. I asked the nurse about it when it happened, and he said they see that at least a few times a week. In this day and age, contact with another's blood is a big health issue.