Installing a backup camera in my 2nd gen, can I run the cable without drilling?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bismuth4551

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I just need a little bit of guidance because I'm pretty new to anything electrical/AV wise beyond installing head units in vehicles. I have a new head unit and a backup camera and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the wire into the cabin. I found a post from a few years ago where the guy casually mentioned that he ran it through the cabin vent in between the cabin and bed on his without providing any detail, but I'm unsure on how to access the vent, preferably without drilling. I already removed the trim piece/carpet from the back wall of the cab to get to the bare steel, but there's two layers of steel and I can't access it from the inside, and the gap between the cab and bed is so small I can't get my hands in there to feel around. I *think* I can feel the vent when I come around from the bottom and put my hand up in between the gap, but I could be touching another grommet, I'm not really sure. I do have cobalt bits and already ordered a multipack of grommets in case I absolutely have to drill, but this isn't really my forte and going in blind makes me a little nervous.

I've been searching for a diagram or even just a photo of a 2nd gen with the bed removed to get a better idea of what's back there, but so far nothing. The one other caveat is that although I can reach the frame rail/another wire harness to cable tie the signal wire to without lifting the truck, I'm not really in a good position to jack the truck up unless I absolutely have to. If you've installed a backup camera on your 2nd gen, how and where did you run the wire?

Edit: Leaving this up in case anyone's in my situation and can't find any forum posts with an answer: if you look just behind and below the ECU on the passenger side of the engine there are 2 grey and black vacuum lines that enter into the cabin and come out behind the glovebox. You can push an RCA barrel through the grommet or around the side and it'll come out in a good position to be threaded up through the dash.

Last edited:
Or you can do a wireless setup. I have a transmitter in the back powered by the backup light circuit and a receiver at the head unit. I do get occasional interference from WiFi networks but overall it’s good.

Or you can do a wireless setup. I have a transmitter in the back powered by the backup light circuit and a receiver at the head unit. I do get occasional interference from WiFi networks but overall it’s good.
Considered that, but to be honest I already have the wired camera and that's just another point of failure to consider. If I have to replace it I'll need to pull the head unit to replace the receiver, etc.

Gotcha, thanks. Would have been easier but I already have the camera. 13 years is impressive for any aftermarket camera electronic though. I ended up finding a solution in the end, there's a grommet for 2 vacuum lines behind and below the ECU that comes out right below the glove box, I'm going to run the cable through there. It's pretty easy to access, I just didn't know to look for it.

Latest posts