Installed Recon; need help w/cargo lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Hey Todd, Paul, or anyone else,

Just got a chance to install my modded Recon third brake with from Zabteck, (looks great Todd/Paul:)) When I went to test the cargo lights they wouldn't come on, so I started cussing Todd/Paul :angry: I then reinstalled the old light and found they didn't work either :eek: Sorry, Todd/Paul :D

Anyone know how/where the black and purple wire to that harness runs?

Thx for the help,

Ken

hmm ......

If you turn on your interior lights with the dash switch do they come on ???

if you open the doors does the rear inside light come on ??

Fuse # 26 on the side of the dash .....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had the doors open during the swap out you might have tripped the battery saver feature that kills the interior lights. Some years you can turn on the cargo lamp via the dash lights dimmer wheel and some years you have to install a jumper wire for cargo lights to work with the interior lights...

What year is yours?

Mark

Thanks for the response guys,

My Trac is an 03 and the dimmer wheel does turn on the lights, however the cargo lights were not coming on when the switch was turned on.

I pulled fuse 26 and looked at it, it was good, so I reinstalled it, the lights still would not come on, I tried it a second time and magically the lights work -- not sure how or why, but I'll take it.

Thanks for the help,

Ken

Revistiting this post if you all don't mind. I have an 03 Trac and mine must be the year that the cargo light won't turn on with the inside lights on (dimmer wheel past detent). Cargo light turns on with FOB unlocking doors, then goes out after 30 seconds.

Anyone have a step by step on doing the jumper wire to activate the switch?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick - I had a 2001 that had the same setup. I just opened up the dome light and found the wires that were 12v when the switch was turned on. I then ran two wires over to the rear brake light above the head liner and taped in. That way the dimmer switch will work. I no longer have that trac so I can not give you wire colors.

Rick- I only ran one wire from the rear dome light positive over the head liner to the cargo lights positive wire. Im not sure of wire colors either but if you search on here you should beable to find out which wire you need to tap off of. There are only two wires so worst case you just have to put it on the other one. Good Luck