Installed Aussie Locker ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew W

Reaction score
Finally got it put in about a mont or so ago, but it was a bit of a pain ... thanks to Ford, I believe. It wouldn't fit properly the first time, so I bought a PowerTrax (Bill Barber had one installed, so I thought it might be a product flaw), and had the same problem. Thanks to some connections by the guy who was helping me, we found a different set of thrust washers (thinner, .039" original, .031" new set). It fit with the new thrust washers, but was just outside the final tolerances (.045-.070" gap, but mine has about .040"). Put in Royal Purple gear oil, and it works pretty good (just a little noisier tho due to the tighter area). Also put on a MAC differential cover while I was at it. Looks good from the outside, and has worked as advertised ... not taken for hard off-road tests yet, and will be most useful when the snow comes back.

Can't wait to put it through some tougher situations !!

[Broken External Image]:

Oh, I also put my Wet Okole seat covers on too ... man, are they nice !!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I think something is wrong with the first picture. Does the plate really say WhiteSox and you are in Ohio?? ;)

Just kidding. I am in Ohio also. GO TRIBE!! :D

Thanks for the info Matt, I am thinking of installing the reargear as well.Keep us up to date on it._Ron

Griff - an Aussie Locker is the same as a powerTrax rear locker (locks the rear axles; also called a "lunchbox locker" due to compact size) ... linked for your convenience ...

CaptKirk ... yes, its for the real Sox ... I mean the White Sox ... had to root for somebody when the Reds were doing so bad in the '80s, and the mistake on the lake wasn't an option ;) ... well, actually had relatives in Chicago & luved visiting the Windy City during the summer.

NDSportTrac - Yup, its for my Rottie - have a barrier between the front & rear seats (rear seat down flat with a carpet runner) to keep her in back, and you can see another infront of the bed window (yes, she did go out that window once to chase a cat). Set up works great, and it kept her safe when I crashed & totaled my '01 Trac :( ....

Math-you,

I've got a Powertrax No-slip, which is the street version of the Powertrax off-road locker. I haven't installed it yet, but the installation instructions say to remove the spider gears & thrust washers, and the side gears & thrust washers. I don't think the washers are supposed to be put back in later. The Powertrax replaces that whole assembly. Do the Aussie and Powertrax lockers require the side thrust washers in the re-assembly? If not, that would explain why it didn't fit the first time. Check your instructions carefully. You may need to take the thrust washers back out, for the locker to work properly.

It's possible the instructions leave that part out (putting the thrust washers back in). If so, I'll need to get some thinner washers before I tear my differential apart.

math-you,

Can you post some pics of the rear of your Trac with the cage and runners? My 112lb pup needs a set up like that. He always sticks his head between me and my wife through the center opening of the front seats and slobbers all over my center console :) He is too big to get out the rear window though, although our cat hit the window button and let her self out on our move to North Dakota once. Darn animals. Anyway, if you have pics of your pooch setup, Id like to see.

Eric - I double checked the Aussie instructions ... yes, the thrust washers do go back in (if not, then you'll shred your 'axle gears' of the new unit). If you do get new thrust washers, try to get about .026-.029" ... it'll take some looking tho.

NDSportTrac - here are a couple of pics ... the barrier between the front & rear areas is actually the center divider from a crate that I had for her when I first got her & never used, but works perfectly here ! And the runner I bought at Lowes for about $2 a foot ... works better than anything else I found and/or tried, and even matches the interior ;) !

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Math-you,

Which product did you end up installing? The Aussie or the Powertrax? The thrust washer issue (in or out) may be different between the Locker and the No-Slip. I'm going to contact Richmond tech support to find out more about this before I start my project.

I put it the Aussie ... costs less by about $80-90, and got the Powertrax from JEGS (easier to return), and appeared to be almost identical in design (type of metal used seemed different, but both appeared to be very well made) ... I had already been in contact with Aussie's Techs about the situation, so I thought I'd stay with that one. I'm thinking that Ford made a change and has not been noticed yet for the Trac (both companies list it for the Explorer, and we all know how many differences there are betwen the Explorer and the much better Trac) ...

Thanks, math-you.

I just sent a query to Richmond tech support regarding the thrust washers. I asked about the No-Slip and the Locker, just for comparison. Even though you used the Aussie, I'll keep you posted on their response (in case you're interested). :)

Eric - i'd definitely like to know what's going on with that ... since the lockers I ordered were for "Explorers", would be interested to see if there were any changes made by Ford & if they (the lockers) modify thier units for the Trac ... knowledge is (usually) a very good thing :)